state of indiegamer

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by DrWilloughby, Sep 11, 2007.

1. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

I think that if anyone puts in the time they can do it. It won't necessarily be a best-seller, but its not that hard to finish a game and sell a few copies a month.

Anyway, if it's openly admitted that this secret forum will only be for people who care more about the business aspects, then I think it's okay, but that isn't why I come here, so it doesn't affect me one way or another. If anything it'd be a good change to keep all the people who care only about business away from the rest.

2. Mashew

Mashew New Member

I just noticed that the Game Design area alone is spammed to heck with "Games like..." or "Fav Online Game?". In the whole first page, I only see like 4 relevant topics. Something needs to be done about that.

(There is my 1 cent. :p)

3. tolik

Original Member

Great, now it totally doesn't make any sense - a press release forum for everything including services and a separate feedback section.
    Once again, the part that I personally valued and people agreed here - PRODUCT FEEDBACK, including alpha/beta products, not just release announcements as the first forum. Now it's totally twisted, argh.

4. soniCron

Indie Author

You can get "PRODUCT FEEDBACK" on your alphas and betas in the feedback forum. ;) Unless I miss your point?

5. tolik

Original Member

My point is that without refiltering content of both forums, it looks totally messed up:

1) There are already few threads with discussions of released products (feedback) in announcement section.
    2) There are already few threads with service announcements in ann section.
    3) There is everything else in feedback section...

This way it looks like ANN works for "final" products and FEEDBACK is for <"final". I feel the same products will appear in ANN and feedback when they will go through dev stages... More mixups?

My initial proposal was to create a "PRODUCT" forum where ONE GAME would have 1 THREAD. Developers will keep talking about the progress in the same thread and will be able to resurrect their old thread. Product forum must not have any service announcements as it's focused only on product. And this forum should be at the top, as every other forum covers a subject that allows to create a product.

What is done now - both forums are focused on everything (product and service) and it doesn't make any sense, looks like they are spread between milestones (ANN = final, feedback = pre-final).

6. Pluvious

Original Member

I see what you are saying but what it does the way it is now is separate the people who want feedback about GAMES (finished or not) from people who are simply making announcements about WHATEVER. So, if you want feedback about your game (to be used to improve the game) then post it in the feedback section. This can be a game nearly finished, early on, in alpha, beta, or whatever.

This filters out people who are just announcing a game and have no intention of changing it and people who are announcing products. Now you only have games being worked on. You can resurrect these threads, continue to discusss your game, and even do a postmortem I would say (if they don't make a postmortem thread). I wouldn't mind some more specific forums but this is ok to me as is. There may be people who post duplicate threads in both forums I suppose but most people have an intention when they post a game. Either they want some praise/input or they want some help to improve the game.

7. tolik

Original Member

So the point of making a PRIMARY (it's first in the list) separate forum is ability to make announcements about "whatever" without anyone caring about it? That's so awesome.

8. Falcan

Indie Author

Hmm, well I've been around since the "Dexterity" forums, at those times I was a n00b. Now I had my game in top 10 on BFG and iWin, selling very well on Mac so far, but still I don't post so much, don't know why..lack of interesting topics? Not sure.

In the n00b times, I didn't post at all almost, because

A) I used forum search or google(yahoo), if I wanted to know something specific(like speculating on sales numbers)

B) I've connected with few people here and asked them directly, it was way faster and I didn't flood the forums(and I've made few good contacts:)

I promised myself that I wouldn't post here in the fashion like some people did in the past(don't want to mention the names), talking very professionally about how the industry works etc. having web with "Coming soon" sign. That was driving me off I remember. I dont know the current status though because I wasn't browsing the forum for months.