Starship Component Placement Ideas

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Sean Doherty, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I'm looking for some GUI design ideas. Which games have the best / most user friendly screens:

1) for starship component placement?
    2) for component research?

Thanks

2. Aymes

Original Member

I always liked the way ascendancy did their research and ship building

Other than that, Masters of Orion 2 was also good :D

3. PaulModz

Original Member

Sword of the Stars

Check out the new game Sword of the Stars for a nice research UI. Their ship design screen is also pretty good, but it takes a little getting used to and might turn off new users.

Actually, the whole game is pretty damn good. Gamespot just reviewed it here, and gave it a 7.4, which I thought was a little low. There's a demo on Fileplanet.

I actually enjoy the game more than GalCiv2. It has great real-time tactical combat (unlike GalCiv2, which feels like an animation on top of a simulation). The 4 races are so different it almost feels like you're playing another game when you switch.

Lastly, if you decide to buy a download-able version online, use GamerGate instead of Direct2Drive.

4. Ratboy

Original Member

For component placement placement, I'm partial to the Mechwarrior 4 semi-restricted hardpoints system. At the very least, it kept the graphics from doing goofy things like firing lasers out of missile racks. List of drag'n'drop components on one side, and a schematic with open hardpoints taking up the rest of the screen.