Spring Bonus is now available on PC and Mac

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Grey Alien, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Yes, not much, that's why you can't make your games with $100k budget in mind if your goal is to break into top 100. Our games so far got a bit higher on the list, with a peak to #35 for Dress-Up Pups. Oh, maybe word "goal" is not the best one here, more like "we'd be happy if it gets into top 100, if it goes better, then ....".

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Oh blimey, let's not kick that one off again!!

Jake - I'll post this here as I'm currently being pursued by a nasty little troll on the bb site. I think he wants my gold. Anyway, my missus had a pop at this last night after I mentioned it as she normally likes match three games. I'm afraid this one didn't really strike a chord. A couple of comments I picked up were that it was it didn't seem to go anywhere save for different board layouts and slightly different graphics per level. I think she was expecting some sort of underlying plot and there didn't seem to be any. As I said before its a decent game but not really my mug of tea, but I did notice that on the game map, all the levels were laid out ahead of you in a massive long line. I might have preferred them to be revealed gradually as you complete levels cos that way I'd feel like something had happened that was down to me being great! Also some of the 'nodes' on the map were slightly bigger than others but I never really found out why?

Anyway... its nice and high up the M3 charts (12) today. I notice that there's three other match three games released in the last week or so, and I don't think that's helping. If not for that then you'd probably be nuzzling at the proverbial buttocks of the top 100.

3. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

The promotion that BFG does (or does not) is what matters the most, plus the game's genre of course (HOGs sell better etc). But within a same genre promotion is what makes a big difference. Some games do sell *naturally* more than others but exposure will always win in the end.

Not so much indeed, but it's still money. And around 35th, you double that. Then I don't know, never got higher lol (never got a single day of promotion past the release itself either unfortunately)

That's the spirit :p

I remember this game, huge success in its time ^^

#23 Indinera, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@Roman: Yes I was spoiled. Unwell Mel had a "head and shoulders" site theme, and was mentioned in one of those smaller boxes in the middle of the site, plus was in the newsletter, and got advertised too I think. That exposure, plus the fact it was a good game with lots of content that converted well back in slightly more popular match-3 days, meant a good chart position. Makes we wonder if I should have gone exclusive for one week first. It's just the deadline was so tight, it being an Easter game. I also agree that getting in the top 100 would be a pleasant surprise.

Regarding the $100K budget thing, I've got a feeling that to get more exposure you need to spend a lot on your game so that BFG (and other sites) feel it's worthwhile giving it the exposure. It's risky but then you stand to make a lot more when it goes right. We are taking less risk due to smaller spend but there's still an "opportunity risk" because it takes a few months to make these small games and we could be doing something else.

@Desktop Gaming: Thanks for the feedback. There is a story, but it's implicit rather than explicit. It's told by the backgrounds changing over time as the rabbit makes it's journey. I banged this game out in a very short period of time so didn't have time to add a proper intro and story etc, plus I still had over 60 items on my possible polish list. Still, for what it is, I think it works and most of the comments are positive. The only worrying ones are from people who say it's a kids game a) due to the way it looks (so they don't even download it), or b) after only playing the first few levels, which are deliberately easy. Perhaps if I'd made a "dark, gritty, mystery" match-3 it would have done better with the HOG crowd. Still at least it's making some people happy (they say it's a breath of fresh air). No.11 in match-3 today, hopefully tomorrow it'll be 10 or higher and that'll get me in the top 100. We'll see...

Oh and the game is doing awful on Amazon. You can tell that just by clicking on it and seeing the chart position which is like 800 or something. I asked them to put the price at $9.99 marked down 30% to $6.99 but they failed to do that.

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You're not the first to say that.

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I got BFG to also put the game in kids games where it sits at no.2 now. Seems stuck at no.11 in match-3 which is just outside the top 100. Strangely it's doing worse on Mac. I thought it would do better due to less games :-(

7. wazoo

Original Member

Best of success with it Jake! Looks good so far.

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Thanks. Ha your web domain is funny :) I find it tough with 2 kids + wife + cat and my wallet, so 4 kids must put a real strain on the wallet.

9. wazoo

Original Member

heh thanks, just got it when 4/4 was born. Therein lies my madness...the larger of a cage I've built around myself, the harder it's been to cover day-to-day expenses long enough to finish / sell a game.

stupid, crashing economy..:)

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah, having kids really impacts indie lifestyle. Still it brings other rewards.

11. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I'd suggest adding some social buttons to the page: http://sharethis.com/publishers/get-sharing-button

Also, I'm not seeing any tracking code on the generated page (perhaps server-side?). Google Analytics is free.

Anywho, instead of buying the game, I'm sending 1000+ people to the site. Good luck!

Congrats!

12. wazoo

Original Member

Testers. ;)

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Wow thanks James! Much appreciated! Good idea about the social buttons, I should have thought of that after making a Facebook game at BFG for a year. The buttons on my page log clicks as do the buttons in-game so I can figure out the conversion rate at least, but yeah I should get more into analytics.

@wazoo: For sure, they both always test my games and sometimes make levels.

14. terin

Original Member

(Emergency food source?)

Muahahahaha!

15. wazoo

Original Member

Bad Joseph!

*snicker*

16. Escapee

Original Member

Congrats on the release! I notice you are selling spring bonus on your site for USD9.95, this is higher than in BFG. Is there any difference between BFG version and your site version ? I'm asking because i'm trying to decide whether to affiliate yours directly or through BFG. Thank you.

17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Hi Escapee, no there's not a difference. I'm just trying to keep a decent price going for casual games. It sells at that price to my customers. You'll get 50% of $9.95 if you make sales via my affiliate instead of 25% of $6.95 from BFG. If you think you can drive some good traffic, I could make you a 30% coupon code for your customers if you think it will make a difference. Email me.

18. Grey Alien

Indie Author

19. joe

joe
    Original Member

wow. thats great! congrats!

20. ionside

ionside New Member

A great little game! I had a short chance to play the demo.
    wazoo - 4 kids, wow. I have two and already feeling sorry for myself. :D
    However, they're already proving to be great game testers!