Spell Run - Game with programming article

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by nicolasv, Jun 2, 2016.

1. nicolasv

nicolasv New Member

Hi gamers, developers and hobbyists

We just released a first version of Spell Run for iOS, a fun maze-runner type of game with a nice twist. You can get the game here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spell-run/id1102280858?ls=1&mt=8

Along with it, we are writing an article about its development. The article is aimed at game developers who wish to know about another indie team experience building and releasing a game. The article is being written and new chapters will be released on a steady basis. You can check it out here: http://indelve.com/2016/05/21/spell-run-the-backstage-of-a-game/

All of us (me definitely) have learned so much online we want to give something back to the community.

I surely hope someone likes it and, if you do, don't forget to share and comment! It will thrive us to keep going.

We are currently developing a mobile space theme expansion game that will also include an article (much more technical and deep). Follow us on twitter at @indelvestudios for news and more!

Thanks and happy gaming!

#1 nicolasv, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. nicolasv

nicolasv New Member

Thanks to a lot of helpful comments from forums and email, we've completely repurposed the article and made it much more oriented to our specific game rather than a technical tutorial on programming.

This is the new content we'll be covering:

1. The idea of the game
    2. Language: c# or Javascript?
    3. Single scene or multiple scenes?
    4. Coding: know when to stop
    5. Physics: Rigidbody vs CharacterController
    6. Math: The Hypotenuse and PI
    7. Keep the change: use Git
    8. Making our character follow the path
    9. Creating an automated level generator
    10. Creating an automated level tester
    11. Hooking user tiles with existing ones
    12. Buffs and Perks
    13. Facebook 1: Invite friends to play
    14. Facebook 2: Analytics
    15. Monetization: In-App Purchases
    16. Beta-Testing with TestFlight
    17. Publishing and next steps

Chapters 1 through 7 are already done so go ahead and check them out, and number 8 will be available shortly.

Don't forget to follow us on twitter for news regarding articles and game development @indelvestudios

Thanks!

#2 nicolasv, Jun 3, 2016
  3. nicolasv

nicolasv New Member

#3 nicolasv, Jun 4, 2016
  4. nicolasv

nicolasv New Member

Hi coders!

Chapter 9 is out. We talk about how we saved tons and tons of hours of work by creating an automated level generator that creates a base structure of our levels for us, instead of us having to start from scratch each time.

I hope you find it useful.

Don't forget to follow us on twitter for news regarding articles and game development @indelvestudios

#4 nicolasv, Jun 6, 2016
  5. nicolasv

nicolasv New Member

Chapter 10 - Create an automated level tester is out.

We talk about how we went one step further and created a script that allows us to check if a level is beatable or not.

#5 nicolasv, Jun 7, 2016
  6. nicolasv

nicolasv New Member

Chapter 11 - Recursively hook user tiles with pre-existing ones is out.

We share how we accomplish the hardest part of the game: to allow the player to use pre-existing tiles seamlessly.

We hope you enjoy it.

#6 nicolasv, Jun 14, 2016
  7. Sam Vitello

Sam Vitello New Member

Very interesting! I am starting my first game in Unity as well right now. Will be following

8. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

getting page not found

9. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

10. nicolasv

nicolasv New Member

Nice catch! I'm very sorry for that. I'm so swamped on the new game I'm involved with I neglected this for a bit.

You're correct, everything moved to indelve.com site now.

I've updated the links above to work correctly.

It's getting harder and harder for me to write, so it may take a bit more time than I expected, but if there's any specific topic you want me to write about, don't hesitate to let me know. You can contact me on Twitter @NickVarcha

Thanks!

idurvesh likes this.
  11. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

Looks good....I think Marketing topic is bit unexplored ...having to know what worked and what not would be nice to hear with how you approached marketing in general........and as always advance programming tutorials would be excellent addition...

Thanks for kind replay