Spammers?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by TylerBetable, Jun 26, 2012.

1. TylerBetable

TylerBetable New Member

Is anyone else seeing a bunch of spam posts on here?

Tyler

2. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

No. These are not the posts you're looking for.

*waves hand*

3. Olofson

Original Member

I thought I was seeing something too, but... never mind. *confused look*

4. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, I was going to say something along those lines... now I'm just bumping this past the spam. Anyway we can track these idiots down? There are enough indie. dev's scattered across the world that it might take one of the brethren doing something extreme to a local to make an example for the of the spammers to see.

Not advocating violence but this might fall under the "needed killin" statute.

5. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

I thought "first x posts" had to be approved? Is that not happening anymore? Do we have any active moderators here still?

6. narrat

narrat New Member

I'm kind of curious about this myself... I try to report every one I see, but there's 9 on the first page of this subforum.

7. zoombapup

I've just deleted a ton I can see. I'm not really an "active" mod around here anymore. The spam got too much for me last year :)

Not sure I can offer any good news sadly. It needs action on the server side to really do anything about it. I think this forum is or was pretty high traffic and must score well in whatever tools spammers use to pick forums to spam on (i.e. uses the wrong version of forum software etc). Plus mods dont have access to change anything so its really going to decline over time. Sadly, because this was once a great place to chat about development. Good thing it doesn't stop you making games :)

8. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

The forum is rated PR 4 by Google so is pretty much a big target for any spam bot like XRumer :-(
    I still think it is a great place to chat about indie development, unless you know of another one people go to these days ;-)

9. Stropp

Stropp New Member

How about plugins?

I don't do much foruming so I'm not sure, but is there an Akismet or Bad Behaviour plugin available to automatically discard the spam. Another thought is to make all links NoFollow by default. Although that might harm legitimate members who have links to their products in footers.

10. Shaz

I believe none of the mods here have the ability to add that sort of stuff. I don't even think they can ban or delete spammers - they're limited to deleting the spam, one by one, I think.

11. rioka

rioka New Member

That's harsh. It would help if one (or more) of the mods had at least ip banning ability. That'll take care of all the ad posts from the same user.

12. Olofson

Original Member

Well, DOH!!!

13. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

Add me as a mod... I *hate* SPAM and would have no problem deleting manually those posts every time I log on here ^_^
    (I'm not here everyday... but still I could kill a bunch of them, happily)

I really like Indiegamer, and would hate to see it get overwhelmed by spambots :/

14. Stropp

Stropp New Member

I'm not here every day either, but this spam is getting quite bad and I'd be happy to help in anyway I can. I'm active in the Australian TZ, so can monitor for spam during those hours.

Like SLotman, I like this board and don't want to see it rendered useless by the evil spammers.

15. electronicStar

Original Member

I don't understand, legitimate users seem to have problems being approved for postings, and spammers seem to be thriving...

16. Olofson

Original Member

Yeah, that's how these kinds of things tend to work. A bit like DRM, isn't it? ;-)

17. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

who owns this forum? Can they step into this conversation?

18. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Where I live drug-dealing tenants can't be evicted without an act of god and landlords are on the hook for anything that happens on the property.

Not sure what that has to do with anything but I thought y'all should know. Carry on.

19. LandoGames

LandoGames New Member

I have a forum I'm trying to grow just for indie devs, have also started a website the forum is here www.landogames.com/forums this is only going to be temp at this address. Will post more about the site later if anyone is interested. On the iPad at the moment so not easy :p

20. igamedev

igamedev New Member

Lets just call each other, it's easier.