So... how does intellectual property for real life products in games work exactly?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Iataa, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:16 PM.

1. Iataa

Iataa New Member

Just making a car here, that I intend you to use in a game... and I'm wondering how legal issues work with it? What I mean is, if I'm making say... a Honda Accord, and I essentially replicate its details near enough to 1:1, does that work fine just so long as I don't call it a Honda Accord?

Seems the way that this goes basically. I mean, I know with guns that they necessitate buying the rights from a manufacturer in order to call it the exact gun model name, but that normally a developer can model the gun otherwise, and just give it a fictitious name and then they are free and clear. I guess the confusion arises for me when there was that whole "IP" thing when it comes to buildings and taking pictures even, that arose a number of years ago...

...and so I just figured I would ask. Any helpful advice pertaining to this? Or do I have it just about right and just make the car and don't call it by the brand name?

2. Iataa

Iataa New Member

I found a good discussion elsewhere about it. Sorry if this was a bit 1) search-able (It wasn't just pure laziness - my default search engine literally pulled up squat on the topic and only when I resorted to a different one did I find any results, and 2) I generally don't play games where they did the sort of standard tricks to circumvent legalities (ie, CounterStrike, etc.) and/or didn't know, or simply notice, enough about gun or car names to firmly pick up on it.

Alright, I think I have it figured out. Cheers!