So, how do you handle redownloads?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Bad Sector, May 29, 2011.

1. Bad Sector

Original Member

I was thinking about this yesterday and today i saw this post on Reddit which seems that people are now very used to be able to redownload their games instead of keeping them around in their own systems (something i'm used to doing myself too).

However, as far as i know, none of the software payment processors (Plimus, BMTMicro, FastSpring, etc) have the option to offer redownloads in the same sense as services like Steam, Impulse, Desura, GOG, etc have - at least not without extra payment (which is what the post at Reddit was about).

What i was thinking about was to keep a list of the emails of people who bought the game and offer the option to send to that email a temporary link to redownload it. Of course this means that i'll have to host the files myself (which can be very expensive) and i'm concerned about security issues (like somehow the email db leaking out of my server).

I wonder if there is a middle ground between payment processors such and full blown portals. Of course i do plan to send stuff on portals, but honestly i would like to have the game available for redownload even if it isn't accepted by those places due to gatekeeping (although i think Desura and GamersGate accept everything...).

How do you handle this issue?

2. Vino

Vino New Member

Sure they do. You can set the download to "never expires" (with BMT anyway) and then customers can re-download it all they want. I use that to upload new builds and I just instruct readers to use their BMT download information to get the new version.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes with BMT you can, however they enforce some limits (IP, number of downloads in short time, etc). Personally I've made my own system for old games, for new ones I'm not going to use fullversion download anymore :)

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

That's an interesting bit about BMT. I understand the number of downloads in a short time, but i wonder about the IP part.

I searched around the net and it seems that most people seem to simply offer the option to redownload the game themselves, like Jack does. What are the bandwidth implications on this?

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Very little, is not like people are continuously redownloading it!!! I also limit the number of redownloads and only the 0,0000000000001% asked me to reset the counter.

6. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

It's just the barest of protections ... Otherwise the download links get posted in various forums, via email, etc. and the program flies out the window to people who haven't paid.

It (the password) is easily reset.

If unlimited, unrestricted downloads is something you want we can easily implement it but I would caution against it.

7. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Would it not be easier and safer, where somebody wants to redownload a file, to have them request a download link be sent to the email address they registered with? Then you could just email them a link that's valid for 24 hours with a specified number of maximum downloads (be it one, or three, or whatever)?

8. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

That opens up another can of worms ... How would you deal with someone who has ordered multiple games from different developers or several products from the same developer - when they type in their email address how would the system know what program to send a download link for?

Rule #1: Everything is more complex than it sounds. :)

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

Don't you keep the orders in some database? If so, then just show them a list with all their purchases and let them choose*. If not, then... why not? :p

(*=also a method for developers to redirect to such a list with a filter that shows only products from the developer -or even a specific product- would be nice)

10. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Because we have thousands of developers and not every developer has the same guidelines for redownloading files.... That's why there are as many options as their are now.

The re-download system would quickly get as complicated as the order system if we tried to implement every possible scenario.