Site Ranking Verification

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by dypaul, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dypaul

Original Member

Besides Alexa, what other means do you have for verifying and comparing how big a traffic a particular portal draws? So if Bigfishgames says, "We charge 65% but we draw xxxxxx number of traffic per day," how do you really know? I would appreciate some of your thoughts. Thx.

2. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

3. Andy

Original Member

Pretty useful link Steve. Get one more "thank point" from me! :)

4. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Someone else posted that link in another thread a while back. Can't remember who. Pretty decent site though.

5. Nexic

Indie Author

It estimates me at 22,000 per month, I really don't think I have that much traffic. I suppose it would count someone downloading any file from your site as a visit???

Dreamhost gives me the number of requests and hits, but not actual visits.

6. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

These kinds of statistics are very useful if you are working on building traffic to your own site and trying to compare your current stats to your historic stats and to the stats of other similar web sites. You can find out who has more traffic than you and then try to implement some of the things they do. Then check back a few weeks or months later and see if it worked.

But I don’t really see the point in looking at stats like this when considering weather or not to allow your game to be distributed on another web site. If the site is offering you fair and reasonable terms, and it doesn’t take too much effort on your part, then why not let them have your game? It’s not like you have to find the one set that is best and only give it to them. Just give it to all of them (within reason.)

Also, site A may get more traffic than site B, but site B may still sell a lot more copies of your game. A site with more games will genially sell fewer of each game. And a site focusing on gritty shooter games won’t sell as many copies of your cute and fuzzy puzzle game. So it is easy to see how the site with less traffic may be a better fit. But I would still just give the game to both of them unless you though the traffic was so bad that the sales from the site would not outweigh the amount of work required to submit the game to the site.

7. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

It seems reasonably accurate with us, perhaps a little under-counted. Alexa does a pretty good job also (if you ignore it's daily wild mood swings). I've also seen ranking.com, their ranks seem about right but their #s are way way low for us and other webmaster buddies I know.

8. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Yeah and they rank my site as too few visitors to make an accurate estimate... which seems about right :p

9. Andy

Original Member

Bruno. Good feature really that we always can print the page and fix our figures in some Image editor up to appropriate level. :D

10. gmcbay

Indie Author

Metrics Market pegs www.mischief.com as having 134,700 visitor sessions in the last 30 days.

I wish.

According to Alexa, I've got the 65,289th most popular site on the web.

I wish.

11. Byte me

Original Member

Metrics Market is rubbish, I know for a fact that they just use Alexa info and convert it to visitor sessions, if your rank well in Alexa you'll get high numbers in Metrics Market, as simple as that.

12. Itsme

Original Member

None of "traffic estimators" are accurate enough. They can't be, really, and this is obvious to anybody who took Statistics 101 their first year in college. In addition, the data they provide is totally irrelevant. HITS stands for How Idiots Track Success. The most important metrics is your bank account statement.