Should I register to www.bmtmicro.com?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Indinera, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Hello,
    in order for my game (shareware) to appear on a gaming website, I'm asked to sign up with them as affiliate.
    Is it OK to do so? Is there nothing I should know about www.bmtmicro.com?

Thanks in advance!

2. princec

princec
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

BMT are excellent.

Cas :)

3. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Thanks for your reply.
    What do they do exactly? I'm already with Plimus and wouldn't want to do a mistake.

4. princec

princec
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

They do what Plimus do. I only use Plimus for affiliation so I don't really have any anecdotes to say about Plimus but several others in here have various stories of angst. I've used BMT for quite a while now and they're great.

Cas :)

5. GnadeGames

GnadeGames
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I setup BMT Micro awhile ago, but didn't feel justified in switching until my latest game came out. So far, I have gotten 2 emails about 48 hour fraud check download delays...1 more and plimus is probably going bye bye.

6. DanFromFastSpring.com

DanFromFastSpring.com
    Expand Collapse

You need to be careful about fraud screening delays, as they lead to reduced revenue.

We utilize real-time, reasonable fraud protections which avoid manual fraud check delays, often resulting in a larger percentage of prospective orders getting processed as opposed to orders being blocked unnecessarily. Some gaming and software vendors have reported an increase of 10-20% in orders reaching completion after switching, simply due to the method employed for fraud screening. The system has been very effective, and the chargeback rate remains well under 1/2 of 1%. If we ever lose a chargeback fight (we fight them for vendors), we cover the fees.

In a number of cases, some e-commerce providers are holding back a significant percentage of their orders until they can verify the orders are not fraudulent through manual, automated, or other methods. Some e-commerce providers are even attempting to reach the customers at their homes through automated phone messages to validate the orders are genuine. Others are manually reviewing orders and creating significant lag time before a customer’s order is fulfilled, assuming the process gets to that point. Not surprisingly, these tactics have been leading to a lot of upset customers and of course to lost revenue due to so many orders going unfulfilled. A key reason why e-commerce providers want to avoid fraud at all costs is because we lose money on fraud orders, chargeback fees, etc. As we see it, e-commerce providers being so excessive with their anti-fraud measures serves the interests of the e-commerce provider, not the gaming software vendor.

- Dan

---
    Dan C. Engel, CEO
    FastSpring
    dan at fastspring.com
    View the Flash Demo at: http://www.fastspring.com/

7. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT
    Expand Collapse

All of you who use BMT Micro know our fraud screening procedures and everyone seems to be well pleased with the way we handle this thorny issue. Of all the orders we process every day only a handful gets queued up for human review. If we hold an order up there is usually a very good reason.

Each year we meet with our processor for an annual "checkup" on our merchant account and every year since 2002 our chargeback rate comes in well below our industry average.

But... to avoid topic drift I believe the original question was "Should I register to www.bmtmicro.com" which my answer is a solid yes. ;)

Feel free to email me if you have any questions: tbrad@bmtmicro.com.

Thanks,
    Thomas

<edited to add> From 1994-2002 we used a different processor who didn't visit us each year with a fancy report..... Hard to believe but when we started selling on the web in 1994 we were using a modem to process transactions. ;)

#7 Thomas@BMT, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  8. svero

svero
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've been using BMT for a few years now and they've always been quite good to me. I can easily recommend them.