Sharing Equity Question

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by SymbiantStudios, Sep 11, 2012.

1. SymbiantStudios

SymbiantStudios New Member

Oh man, that's so bleak. I know how hard it is to turn a profit in games, and I know you're just being realistic, but I have to believe that MY game will do well and act as if it will. Otherwise, what's the point?

2. chaosavy

chaosavy New Member

I guess that came across as too bleak - make no mistake I'm crazily optimistic, but not so as to quit my day job, borrow money, etc. Plus the whole "equity share" seems like it would end up with me non-stop making promises and delaying those promises.

3. SymbiantStudios

Yeah. Me either at the moment. Although I wouldn't quit my day job even for an ownership stake, so there's that.

The problem is that I have "a company" with (soon to be) several games in its portfolio. I don't want an artist, for instance, coming on board to work on one game and then get a portion of the earnings of games that he/she didn't work on. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to have an artist as an equity partner in any case--certain artists have a style that fits certain games. What if you do something really dark and then re-purpose the engine to do a kids game? Unless your artist is incredibly versatile (and then what are they doing with an indie?) you'll want an artist on each game.

4. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Make it a venture imprint.

Company is just a group of people, especially when it's a "company."

Actual companies are constantly created for a single venture in entertainment--if you're not even officiating it, then what's to stop you from simply having a single venture studio comprised of people worth working with published by an umbrella company which can manage consistent branding.

Be creative, open your minds, the value of a partner goes far beyond simply having an artist.

I would never partner with someone who was a one-trick-pony. I would barely call that a professional.

5. SymbiantStudios

Ugh. I'm cheap and I don't like paying the $400 fee to incorporate, not to mention all the paperwork that has to be filed with various agencies. Maybe I can form a partnership and have my corporation be a partner or something...

6. SymbiantStudios

Also, I don't get how starting a "venture imprint" for one game is any different than profit sharing for one game, except that with profit sharing you can't get sued if something goes wrong. It seems like profit sharing is more advantageous than an equity position (if the imprint is for a single game).

7. dannthr

dannthr New Member

As partners, you share the burden of investment capital.