Shadow feature in Dungeon Demon screenshot

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by lennard, May 12, 2011.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've been trying to get Dungeon Demon 1.1 out the door for a couple of months (sandwiched between working on Dungeon Brawl) and feature creep has definitely set in. I've posted a note before about my forthcoming Aztec art pack and here's an update which was built with the new (and last new feature for 1.1) shadow feature. I think it makes the objects and whole image pop more:

[​IMG]

The art pack was primarily created by Christian Fell who I met on these boards a month or so ago.

2. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

A before and after image might help. There's a lot of detail in that screenshot. I'm trying to find the shadows, and it's difficult. The only shadow I see is around the edge at the top and right. I agree the image looks good though.

3. Dan MacDonald

What if the user could change the light direction vector and make longer or shorter shadows in any direction they liked?

4. lennard

Hi Dan, you kind of can

On a layer by layer basis you can specify x & y offsets as well as color and alpha. Since this is on a layer by layer basis you can have "like- heighted" objects placed together so that taller objects on their own layer can be given longer shadows. In fact I did this on this map - objects in that middle area (like the chests and vines) were sometimes left with no shadow (or had shadow built in by an artist and adding more didn't look good), other objects in the middle went into a layer that got a little bit of shadow and then I put the foliage edging on another layer and gave it a deeper shadow because I thought it made the image pop a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. lennard

Troy, if you look at that broken iron gate you can see that it has a bit of shadow added - this brings it off the background a bit which I like, in the previous incarnation of this image I felt it was blending into the background so much that you didn't notice it or couldn't quite make out what it was. Here' the before image:

[​IMG]

6. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Looking good lennard!