Selling my websites and games. $10k monthly income

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by kreso, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kreso

Original Member

Hello everybody, it's been a while since I've visited these forums. I am selling my games and websites that I made through last 6-7 years. It was right here, on this forums, where I got most valuable information so I thought to ask my questions here. I know most of you don't have money to buy my site but maybe you can help me by pointing in the right direction.

A little bit of history. About 6 years ago I got an idea to make a free flash game that would match the quality of offline games and would be free online game. Nobody was doing that back then and it was quite an idea for me. So Bubble Trouble (later renamed to Bubble Struggle) was born. What I wan't to say is that my games are not indie in a way most of you are thinking of (as downloadable games) and I hope that moderator of this forum will let this post be.

So, what am I selling:
    Domain bubble-struggle.com, rebubbled.com and myrebubbled.com
    Domains are hosting respectively games Bubble Struggle, Bubble Struggle 2 and Custom levels (user made) of Bubble Struggle 2.

About revenue:
    ~$10k per month through ads on domains and through mochiads (flash embedded ads - mochiads.com).

Some daily stats:
    - bubble-struggle ~10k uniques
    - rebubbled ~40k
    - myrebubbled ~4k (has not been marketed at all and can easily be increased to at least 10k, I can guarantee that).
    Most visits (above 70%) are direct requests.

Mochi stats (unique game visitors): ~200.000 per day [stats]

Included is also the download version of Bubble Struggle 2 which has the level editor included. Users can play their own level packs and even publish them to internet easily if they wish. Download version is selling for $10, ~30 sales/month.

Another important point is that I did nothing to market the game or websites so I suspect that these numbers can be increased if in hands of a marketing-competent person.

That's all I can think of, if there is anything else you would like to know please ask. Any information as where to offer my sites&games is appreciated. Ofcourse, if anyone has a reasonable offer I am listening.

Thanks.

2. Uhfgood

Original Member

I don't have any money so I couldn't buy it from you, and also I don't know anything about this sort of thing so I can't help you, but I'm curious, if it's making you 10k a month (assuming Us dollars) Why the heck are you selling it?

And how can I do something like that? :)

3. kreso

Original Member

I'm glad you asked me that, I forgot to mention the reason for selling websites and games. The reason is I have reached a limit of my interest for developing games and I see myself pursuing a carrier of a different orientation - human sciences in general, philosophy in particular. I have started attending a college and I don't have interest in investing my time in game business anymore.
    A thought comes to my mind - I think the founder of this forum, guy named Steve Pavlina, had a similar situation. He was running a game business then sold everything and went into personal development.

I'm sure you have a good idea somewhere in your head and are just waiting for it to 'click'. Yes, currencies are in American dollars. ;)

4. jpoag

jpoag New Member

If you paid 1000 USD a month, I'm sure you could hire a person to maintain the site and promote it (and keep the other 9000). Or you could find someone who has a lot of experience promoting their own site and pay them a flat fee plus commission on new sales (sales increases) to keep yours alive.

Steve is a big fan of multiple income streams.

Use a contract employee and delegate the responsibility.

P.S. Played the game and it reminds me of Spit Wad Willy

5. kreso

Original Member

Thanks. I really appreciate your ideas but my motive is to rid myself of responsibility on this business and transfer it to other areas of my life.
    Steve is a big fan of multiple income streams as am I and every other guy I guess, but I personally prefer that these income streams are in the domain of my interest.

P.S. Old school gamer huh? Spit Wad Willy was the first of that kind of game I think, then came Pang etc. Role model for my games was 'Superpang!' Oh happy childhood moments ... inserting a coin into the arcade machine and hearing it shout Superpang!

6. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Hey, no harm in the suggestion (I think you could even find a family member to train to take over the site ;-)

In any event, I completely understand moving in another direction!

Yeah, I'm not as old school as some gamers, but I have some great memories!

7. electronicStar

Original Member

Sorry if I'm being off topic , but is it common to pull that much money from ads-sponsored sites?
    I need to know because maybe I'm wasting my time develloping a downloadable game.
    Maybe I should set up an affiliate farm with ad sponsored flash games?
    And out of curiosity , how much does the original poster value his website? if it's not too sensitive an information...

#7 electronicStar, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. Uhfgood

Original Member

Out of curiousity, since you've already made the games, how much time each day does it take to maintain them? I mean surely you're not doing much now other than raking in the cash?

9. kreso

Original Member

That's not really a question you are asking - what does common mean in this context? I don't think that everyone is earning as much as I do and do I know few other guys earning even more. My situation is not unique if that is what you would like to know.
    Maybe you should set up a farm, give it a try.. I don't think that there are any guarantees, like in any other business endeavor.

I haven't set a fixed price, and am open to suggestions. I expect the value to be well over $10,000 of course.

10. kreso

Original Member

Currently I spend about 15-20 minutes daily. But that doesn't say much.
    The thing is that the business will start to decline if I don't start investing more time (work on it). Maybe it will work for another 10 months, maybe more, but it will start to decrease more and more with time - if I don't work on it more. I heard an expression saying that a business either grows or dies, it cannot stagnate - and I think that's true.

11. GnadeGames

Original Member

Financially speaking, if the websites are bringing in $10k/month so annual revenue of $120k. Let's assume that as the game ages, interest fades so the growth of revenue declines 25-30% a year. I assume the expense of running the sites is no more than $1000/year for hosting etc.

That gives the sites a present value of $200,000-$375,000 financially speaking.

Regardless, it's way out of my league.

12. Backov

Original Member

Web sites and IP in general are valuated at around 6 months. You just gave it a b&m valuation. So, more like 50-60k. That said, anyone even thinking of buying it should do some very serious vetting - good luck getting a civil remedy in Croatia if anything turns out to be not exactly as promised.

13. kreso

Original Member

$50k sounds too little for me right now, but thanks for the info.
    Courts in Croatia are indeed not the best there are which is another reason why I'm thinking to move. I don't know if it is possible to sign a contract assigning jurisdiction to buyer's country but if a serious buyer would want that I would comply.

14. MedievalElks

MedievalElks New Member

There's always the option to do nothing and collect the checks until it dies.

15. GnadeGames

Original Member

I really don't see the incentive of selling these sites with $10k income a month.

16. MFS

MFS New Member

A very large lump sum payment?

17. Uhfgood

Original Member

I don't really see a problem with wanting to sell something that's making him money. The real question is whether or not he's on the level. Like some people said you could hire somebody for half of that to do all the work for you and you would have to do nothing but accept the checks.

Heck, even though I don't know anything about maintaining a website with flash games on it, I would be willing to do it if I could earn $5k USD per month, assuming that all it needs is maintanence.

18. Backov

Original Member

Then you'd better start looking for a manager, because no one is going to give you much more than that, even assuming you pass due diligence.

19. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

I think he was pretty clear (at least to my understanding) - he says he wants to do something completely different with his life. It's not about maintaining an income stream - it's about selling the business and being able to move forward unencombered by it.

I totally get it.

20. kreso

Original Member

I wonder how would I start looking for a manager. You appear to have experience with this - do you have any ideas maybe?
    Thanks.

#20 kreso, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008