selling code

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by vbovio, Jan 5, 2010.

1. vbovio

vbovio New Member

Hi guys,

I wrote a game engine some time ago and recently a person is interested on buying a license to use it, so I'm looking for advice on how should I proceed on this.
    I guess I would have to sell some kind of indie license right ?, which typically lets you use the code on any numbers of projects, alter the code, but don't distribute it, and of course the code is still mine (copyright), you just have a license to use it in your projects.. is there a standard license for this ??

Thanks.

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Ask for $10,000. If they accept that, ... uh... try here again.

3. Jim B

Jim B New Member

In short, no. There is no such thing as a "standard" license. The terms of a license can vary drastically from deal to deal.

Adding to PoV's comment, first, you probably want to sit down with the other side and determine the major terms of the license (e.g. exclusivity, cost/payment, use restrictions, modification ownership, etc.). Once that is complete you can think about a more formal agreement.

4. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

For sure. But as soon as you attach a dollar amount to something, most people will just run away scared. As a result of that, try not to spend too much time on it, as it's probably a dead end.

Also worth considering is the terms of the support contract, if any. You need to be careful with those, as poor wording can leave you an under-paid pseudo employee of this buyer.

5. JarkkoL

JarkkoL New Member

If your potential customer is an indie, then yes of course. You can provide different types of licenses tailored for different customers at different prices. Since you don't have a licensing & pricing figured out yet and if you are not planning to enter into licensing business, it might be worth to just figure out some price (probably few hundred $ for an indie with quite restrictive terms) and see if your potential customers is really serious before bothering with it any further and wasting time & money for nothing.

6. vbovio

vbovio New Member

thanks a lot for the advices guys, the person is really interested on it, and I have talk with him a few about the terms, I just wanted to know if I should just write a license.txt or something with a more formal wording of the terms.
    My engine is similar to PTK, with a few more or less features but essentially is C++ wrapping OpenGL/DX code into a simple API, I have it running on iPhone, PC and Mac. Maybe I should consider selling licenses in a more formal way as the engine could be really useful, specially for someone starting game dev.