Screenshot of your Dev environment..

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Mike Boeh, Jul 30, 2006.

1. lapskaus

Original Member

That's pretty clean, ggambett, but the way it is now it's easier to tie in special events with the anims like playing sounds or registering an attack. I can see the whole sequence, so i can clearly see where those events happen.

2. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Fair enough :)

3. shang

Original Member

Hopefully you don't mind the thread resurrection. ;)

My current coding env consists of countless of IDLE (the default editor that comes with Python) windows, SCiTE, a browser window or two and a couple of command prompts (for building and running tests) spread over two 19" screens.

desktop.jpg

4. Infinite_Reflection

Original Member

Bumping this to show off my new, autumn inspired color scheme, (and incidentally, my noob'ish programming :p )

Screenshot

5. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I literally started having waves of nausea come over me looking at this.. the level of contrast just makes my head spin.

6. Matthew

Indie Author

7. Sharpfish

Original Member

I'm suprised by how many people are running their IDEs with default black text on white background. That does my head in after more than a week.

I always tweak the IDE to a grey-blue darker background, light text (with coloured intellisense) and preferably using proggysquare font (which is a great font for coding). Note I don't mean Black like Mike's setup, as Dan said, that would be from one extreme to the other. The best colour I found is the one similiar to the bluey/grey found on this forums posts headers (yes the bar above with #67 written on it).

Each to his own though but more info on screen (smaller font) and better contrast (darker background, lighter text) keeps me coding much longer before my eyes get tired.

#67 Sharpfish, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  8. jeb_

Indie Author

I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one who uses the old Turbo C++ color scheme :)

My screenshot is from Eclipse, showing some parts of the Dawn of Daria server, but the client and our other games are programmed in C++. And no, I don't use such a small view when I'm typing code, I always maximize the view when I'm working.

Attached Files:

9. PaulModz

Original Member

Hey all,

Very cool thread! I missed the boat the first time around, so I'm including shots of my env.

MainMonitor is my VS2005 IDE. The background looks white (I reduced the images to 32 colors), but its actually RGB 255,255,238, which is easier on the eyes but can still use all the default color mappings.

My left monitor is for a real-time log viewer I wrote which let's me filter log entries on severity, category, time, and text. I'm also ADDICTED to SysMetrix, the toolbar on top of the screen. I can't even use a computer anymore unless I know CPU usage, NetIn and NetOut at all times ;)

I also threw in a shot of my right monitor, which is almost always filled with various custom GUIs that are plug-ins into my game's editor.

Attached Files:

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I used to use black screens a lot in the past but found the text gave me retina burn so now I use the BMax default colour scheme which is grey background and black text +coloured keywords.

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

Here is mine, Linux-based.

It's actually a small editor i wrote in Lazarus, plus a console window where i can call 'make' and run my app :). I rarely need anything more (ok, sometimes i use alleyoop, a graphical front-end to valgrind and gdb, but i don't do that very frequently).

The irony in this image is that the sources shown there are from my SlashTK C++ toolkit, while the editor itself is written in Lazarus+LCL in Pascal.

Well, i'm in the process of converting my Anjuta and jEdit projects to BED, so no game related sources yet...