Sci-fi landscape art needed

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)' started by cliffski, Sep 23, 2006.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Hi, I'm doing a sequel to this:
    http://www.starshiptycoon.com
    Which will look *way* better.One of my requirements is this:

about a dozen (maybe more) 1024 x 768 (at least) planetary surface landscapes. They will be the backdrop to a screen filled with statistics, and interface GUI, and are to set the 'mood' of the different planets in the game.

The kind of thing I'm looking for is that very polished, impressive stuff you see in Bryce, or terragen, or MAX where you have an alien looking landscape, maybe a colored sky and 2 suns, or a big gas giant planet in the sky. Some sci-fi buildings on the ground, the odd alien, or some weird plant life would be extra cool.

I'm not looking to actually commission new art here (unless it cheap and VERY good!), but trying to find one of the many artists who already does this stuff anyway, and has a bunch of renders already which he/she is happy to licence for use in a game. I'm not looking for exclusivity on the images.

My budget is your typical small game budget, so we are talking more than hundreds of dollars, but less than tens of thousands. I'm very happy to give a big obvious credit to any artist whose work is used, both in the game credits and the readme file.

Cheers,

2. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Check out Armands Auseklis' work. He doesn't seem to have a unified gallery, but here's an images.google search of his Pandromeda gallery postings. He has produced stacks of beautiful planets.

3. cliffski

Thats fantastic, thanks for the link.

4. Gilzu

5. cliffski

Because I'm just not as good at it. I've tried terragen, and bryce, and its not *bad*, but to really make it look convincing, you need someone whose done it for years.

6. mustardseed

Original Member

I've had a lot of luck with the "Vue" series of of products. Their output is far superior to Terragen and especially Bryce. In fact it was just used by ILM in Pirates of the Carribbean 2!

Check out their promo video here: Vue 5 Esprit Promo

And their website here: E-On Software

Only downside is rendering takes a VERY LONG time.

7. cliffski

ha, funny you posted this, im playing with the trial right now. Its VERY easy to use in comparison with all the rest, and seems to render mega quick for me somehow.

8. mustardseed

Original Member

Hmm, maybe having a good video card speeds up renders? I only had a sucky integrated chipset when I was using it.

And yea it's MUCH easier to use. :)

9. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

You should also check out
    http://www.pandromeda.com/
    if you haven't already. I believe this software was used to do the Bejewelled 2 backdrops.

10. cliffski

I've deicded that other people are WAY better as using the five different terrain rendering apps I now have trial copies of. If only any of them reply to emails :D

11. esrix

Original Member

It may be a bit of a stretch, but how about posting on a forum where art is the primary focus, like conceptart.org?

You can commission people for work, and if you are really on the cheap, you can post it in the "non-paying jobs" section of the employment thread.

Just a thought :)

12. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Planet Mojo

I would think that you could contact some of the Planet Mojo artists whose work you like and get what you need. Echoing Patrick (MS) but some of the MojoWorld renders are amazing.

13. Applewood

What exactly is this program ?

Looks bloody interesting but I'm not sure at what level the user interacts with it. Their webpage seems to contain everything except why I'd want to buy it.

I love dicking around with that sort of stuff - makes me feel like an artist for a bit. If you've seen my programmer art, you'd know that's an impressive feat!

14. cliffski

I've contacted some mojoworld guys, and am waiting to hear from them. I',m amazed how diffiult most of these artists make it to get hold of them though.
    The software is all awesome, especially Vue, but I just dont have the time or patience to play with it.

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I wanted to try that mojoworld, then discovered that I need a serial even to just use the demo (quite absurd). So I registered and requested the serial. No answer since 2h, I don't even know if their system is working actually. Already uninstalled the product, great marketing guys! :D

16. svero

Yeah I dispise those fill out 50 forms to try our trial edition bs sites. One of my pet peeves for sure. In most cases that's a rock solid guarantee I will never buy your product even if it's twice as good as the competitions... because I'll never see it.

17. Reactor

Just for the fun of it, here's a quick render done in Carrara 5. It's not quite Mojoworld quality, but I had fun... and would be happy to have more fun doing a few more, if that's up to the quality you're after (ie: in case you can't get a reply from the guys who do alien landscapes each and every day).

[​IMG]

18. Applewood

Seconded. Can't be bothered with all that shit. Who knows what I could be missing...

19. lennard

Agreed - although I was able to get a demo with no problems about 3 years ago. Maybe they were lame then too but whatever, I got the demo and messed around for a day. Was pretty fun but I think finding somebody with 30 good pictures you can choose from will be more profitable for you anyhow.

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Sorry to hijack this thread :)
    I checed vue esprit 5, and since I found it very cool and there's a special offer now (if you buy version 5, you get version 6 upgrade free once is released) I decided to buy the cheapest version for 89$.
    I paid yesterday, I'm still waiting for the download link, the order is still "being reviewed" :D

Now how ever my user dare to complain if sometime Plimus or BMT takes 1-2h to check their order when such sites makes you wait 24+ hours?! LOL