Sci-fi Bundle! 4 storybased games at 50% off

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jack Norton, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

#1 Jack Norton, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Jack, great idea! I got confused at first because the screen shot(s) above make it seem as if you are selling each novel at 39.99. On the website it seems fine because you don't have the four images like you do above.

3. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

An 11-months discount?? O___o

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ugh I'm idiot lol I wrote June!

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Fixed the typo in my post :D luckily in the page I wrote the correct month!

6. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

Just to be clear. Consumers pay $39.99 and get all four games yes?

7. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes in practice is $10/game, even if the various games have different prices discounted 50% off (Bionic Heart and Date Warp was $19.99, Gemini Rue $14.95 and Planet Stronghold $24.99).

9. Reives Freebird

Reives Freebird New Member

Cool, it's nice to see story-based games in the sci-fi genre in the indie scene united. :) Hope the sale's going well Jack!

P.S. It might be best to edit the 4 linked images to make the pricing more obvious, especially if you're using them as promotional images at other sources. :p

10. SiXX

SiXX New Member

I bought it! I've been waiting for Planet Stronghold & Gemini Rue to sale for so long.
    But now it's in the same bundle pack! Huzza! :D

11. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I'd group the 4 pics together and put the price once at the middle. :)

12. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I agree, I thought the same.

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Too late, is over now :D

14. electronicStar

Original Member

I think you could have kept the offer a bit longer.

15. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

will you write something about how it went?

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Didn't go really well, and I think the main problem (also speaking with other devs who made bundles recently) is that nowadays people are brainwashed in bundles=pay what you want or 100 games for $0.99 so I don't think I will repeat this kind of experiment in future. While I don't know other bundle sales figures, but I believe apart the humble bundle, the rest is not making any minimum/decent amount of money (by that I mean at least 1k/each people involved, so not really much).

17. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

People seem obsessed with getting games for $0.10 these days. It's silly. apparently gamers value their leisure time at one tenth the wage of a street cleaner...
    Possibly the solution is not to try and compete for the cheapskates. Just sell to people who are time poor and money rich, selling them a premium experience.

18. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Too many bundles since the Humble one popped up, I guess.

19. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It's not an absolute value judgment, it's relative. Punters see games everywhere they look - the industry is so oversubscribed it's ridiculous.

People say too many movies come out and there's too much "meh" crap. I agree, but for each cookie-cutter movie I'd be prepared to bet that there's ten thousand games released at the same time.

It's perfectly simple - the mass market think games are worthless because they're everywhere. And almost all of them really are shite but the punters dont know any better. Why would I pay ten or twenty bucks for one that looks the same as all those freebies?

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well I think all depends on the people/target market. For example when I was living with parents I was watching (not much) the free TV program, full of ads which I hate. Now I pay 40eur/month to have satellite/payTV and I couldn't switch back EVER to see any kind of show/movie with ads because I hate it and now can afford to pay.
    Is not like is "impossible to make any money with games over $5"! This bundle was an experience apart, I absolutely am making much more money with $25+ games than before (and know many other devs from this forums that are doing niche games with similar results).
    Either try to sell $1-5 games to the mass market (ie iOS, flash, F2P, etc), or $25+ ones to niche markets (storybased, wargames, strategy, simulation), both systems seems to work quite well!