Sales statistics: Domain of Heroes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Game Producer, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

2. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

So, they've made $96,500, but spent about $150,000 to do it. Ouch.
    Hopefully they'll break even in the future.

3. Game Producer

Yeh. It's pretty interesting anyway to see that this type of browser games can sell.

4. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

I read the article and I said the same thing: Ouch. I do not know if I read properly, but I did not expect a loss. I am not alone to see a loss. Did anyone read the same thing? I noticed that they spent of lot on advertising and the game did sell, but the ROI is unfortunately not good.

5. Game Producer

Please notice that it's only the sales of a few month.

Would be interesting to see what's the situation after 1 year or so..

6. Deva

Deva New Member

Yeah, not bad for about 9 1/2 months. Interesting that they did magazine ads, wonder how that worked out. I'll have to give it a try, since I was a big fan of the old text-based MUDs... but knowing how many hours I used to spend playing each morning, maybe that's not such a great idea. ;)

7. tolik

Original Member

Spending $150K and no web designer?
    Seeing that ads accommodate for 5% of revenues, would you continue allowing other games to steal your registered players?

I've played the game for a bit and liked it. The underlaying gameplay is very deep (as most good MUDs), but with a 3.4% retention I'd suggest to put in $30k more to get a proper web design and focus on battle visuals, unclutter the interface and make it more appealing to wider masses.

I'm sure it will recoup in few months at that rate.

#7 tolik, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  8. tolik

Original Member

Micro-transactions let you cut your playtime by a significant margin - no more farming, just buying gold directly from GMs ;)

9. Nexic

Indie Author

You guys are thinking of this like a downloadable game, where the first few months after release make the majority of sales and not much after that. Browser MMOs don't work like that, their revenue usually increases over time. Therefore give it 5 more months and they'll not only be into profit but making making $100k+ per year. This is a success story.

10. LateNight

LateNight New Member

If you check the article, it also says they've been adding 1 paid employee for every 2-3 months they've been making money, which puts them at between 3 and 6 employees depending on when they started making money. So if their profits have to be split 4 or 5 ways, I should certainly hope they will be making $100k+ per year, and I hope that's after all their advertising costs too.

11. tolik

Original Member

Well, they'll have to keep pumping more marketing money and expanding the team. So unless they'll improve the game, they'll keep eating their own tail.

12. Game Producer

Agree on this.

Developing costs might be big, but this can get the money back soon.

13. whisperstorm

Original Member

Let's hope they stick it out till they get out of the red. It's hard to persist sometimes when things arent going your way.

14. cliffski

I'd love to know if they thought this was a good way to spend that $10k, as opposed to more ads. I've never seen an ad for this game.

15. Nexic

Indie Author

So as you can see, they are definitely doing well.