Roles and payment - Indie Productions

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Marta Martorello, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Marta Martorello

Marta Martorello New Member

So, let's talk money.

Let's say that, as an indie game designer and producer, I have to fill the following positions:

- Character Designer, Concept Artist and Environment Designer (who we suppose will be one or two people tops);
    - 2D Artist, Illustrator;
    - Programmer;
    - Sound Designer and Composer;

Possibly (but probably not), adding these:

- 2D Animator (trad. animation for short cutscenes);
    - Voice Artists;
    - Dialogue Writers;

I would take care of production (of course), GD, story, dialogues and, eventually, PR.

Hoping I haven't forgotten anything major, what I ask is - how much am I supposed to pay these roles, given that this would be a totally indie and overall simplicistic game? Would it make any sense at all to suggest profit sharing percentages? And if so, how should I proceed?

I have to add - the game I have in mind as of now is an adventure visual novel. Hence, I suppose the programming part to be fairly light to anyone who doesn't have to learn an new programming skill... I probably need to give you guys more info, but as of now this is all that comes to my mind.

Any ideas?

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

It can vary widely but let's say that for a fair pay for a professional you have to think somewhere in the range of $20 to $50 an hour, depending on the skills and experience of people hired.

You CAN propose revenue sharing but know that you can always tell how much someone has been paid by looking at the results and that revenue sharing is in a lot of cases very close or equal to zero. In other words : don't expect pro work from revenue sharing. Pros will only work for money (unless you're like a superstar developer, maybe).

If you have no or little experience making games, the best course of action is to reduce the scope of your project, get your hands dirty and do most of the things yourself or with a single collaborator (the usual Artist + Programmer team). At least you won't get overwhelmed managing peoples and crises.

Good luck!

3. Marta Martorello

Marta Martorello New Member

Thank you for your help!

Yes, I figured profit sharing wouldn't be a great idea, I myself would not be convinced.