RETRO KNIGHT! Action/RPG for iOS

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by noahbwilson, Nov 1, 2016.

1. noahbwilson

Indie Author

UPDATE 6/29/17:

Here's the trailer so that is it on the first post of this thread.

Now back to your regular chronology...

As I finish my game Jobin The Penguin (www.jobinthepenguin.com) and work slowly on my huge game Robot Gardens (www.robotgardens.com), I am actually going to be releasing a new game between the two called Retro Knight.

I'm still fleshing things out, but here it goes:

Retro Knight is my stab at an "Arcade RPG". The game centers around a Don Quixote-type named Retro Knight who lives in the obnoxiously stereotypical and pixelated world of Kingdomland. Take everything you've ever heard about RPGs and fantasy games, and apply it at the most basic level. I am going for "so stereotypical, it's funny". It draws a lot of ideas from all those famous early RPGs like Zelda, Dragon Warrior, and such while mixing in Pac Man, Gauntlet, and Smash TV. You could say it is a Dungeon Crawler, but it will have a world map as well. The game is entirely Top View.

You explore a world map freely, a map that has many Secrets (that appear based on the day of the week/month) as well as "Doors". Doors lead to various places like forests, swamps, mountains, caves, etc. When you approach a Door, you are presented with 12 Mazes, each of which contains three "Stars" (I'll come up with something later), as well as monsters, coins, powerups, and treasures. The more Stars you collect, the more Doors are unlocked on the main Map. The Mazes are the levels, but they are VERY Arcade-like, with powerups, points that are tallied at the end, and even top scores lists that are universal over the internet. You can always go back and replay another Maze (or as you might do in an RPG: Grind).

However, Stars are not all you will need to unlock new Doors on the Map so you can complete Mazes. Borrowing concepts from Metroid or Zelda, you'll also need to buy very expensive items at the towns such as Bombs, Fire Rods, or hopefully things that are not direct rip-offs of other games in order to complete certain Mazes. This again refers back to the concept of grinding despite being an Arcade-like game: you have to make the money to buy the wildly expensive items.

Finally, referring back to the "Secrets", these are really cool spots on the Map that appear based on the time of day or the day of the week. These can be special shops (wagons passing through), treasures, or even entire bonus Mazes and Challenges to make more money. I can literally make these appear at any time on a whim, and then let users know via social media.

I hope to start this game in December. I feel like (once I clear my plate), I can zip right through this as I have most of the level design engine and basic controls already made.

This game also is linked to my current game SCP Arcade. You can LITERALLY start making money now for Retro Knight in SCP Arcade, and just transfer the money (Coins) over once the game is released! Neat!

www.scparcade.com

Feedback always welcome.

#1 noahbwilson, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Marta Martorello likes this.
  2. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Dev Update:

Playing off of the title, my dev pal and I decided this game will feature a "mixmash" of retro-items. The gameplay remains very similar to original Legend of Zelda and Gauntlet (huge mazes with keys, switches, and other fun puzzles and monsters), but each level set with be themed by one classic game.

World 1: Mushroom Plains (Mario themed characters, objects) (Plains)
    World 2: Twilight Forest (Zelda) (Forest/Caves)
    World 3: Lake Ballooo (Balloon Fight) (Cliffs/Water)
    World 4: Wizard's Mountain (Wizards and Warriors) (Mountain/Caves)
    World 5: Castle VonVampire (Castlevania) (Castle/Dungeon)
    World 6: Bomb-bomb Ruins (Bomberman) (Desert/Cliffs)
    World 7: Megamore Mines (Mega Man) (Cliffs/Caves/Mines)
    World 8: Chozoid Mountain (Metroid) (Lava/Mountains/Caves)

In addition, a variety of the power-ups are taken from retro games as well, including Red Shoes (Bubble Bobble), Bow/Arrow (Zelda), Hammer (Donkey Kong), Banshee Boomerang (Castlevania), Balloons (Balloon Fight), Fire Flower (Mario), and dozens more.

It really is looking to be a perfect blend of RPG and Arcade :)

SLSinOZ and Marta Martorello like this.
  3. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Almost done with my current project. Ready to dive into this head first.

Official Title: Retro Knight: The Amulets of Generic Importance.

100 Mazes of Arcade action strung together by an awesome RPG system and really goofy cinema scenes.

4. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Another Update:

- Production to officially start on the new year. Artwork has already begun. I'm actually drawing stuff in Google Docs on a spreadsheet. It's a very great way for me to colab with the game's actual artist. I can draw my crappy art and he can fix it live. Try it.

Capture.PNG

- Online Maze Editor will allow players to create/share their own mazes. They can submit them to me and possibly get added as an official maze. This editor will NOT be featured in the App and only featured on the website.
    - There will be a website (der).

Not much else. Still trying to finish my other game Jobin The Penguin which is ... dare I say ... 90% done.

franz likes this.
  5. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

You're drawing... in a spreadsheet? But why??? It looks like a fun game but also like the worst possible tool you can come up with to make art. How will you translate it to actual usable sprites?

6. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I'm completing the creative process ahead of time, which is a horribly time-consuming stage.

The art is drawn and all the back-and-forth about how it looks is finalized. I can communicate with my collaborators instantly and we can sign off on the look together.

Then later, in a real art program, I just have to redraw it in a few minutes. No thinking. No questioning. Bing. Bang. Boom.

Also, these aren't sprites. These are just items which have no animation cycle. There are going to be nearly 100 different items you can pick up. A lot of them are just "points" (but with goofy representations). Coins. Food. Potions. Gems. Etc. Etc. Etc.

7. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Drawn in Google Docs then converted to vector (to be later converted to bitmap).

If you think they look familiar, they are supposed to. :D

sdf.PNG

TigerrrUppercut likes this.
  8. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Mock level concept... like 1/100th the size of an actual level.

Capture.PNG

9. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I am working on a 360-degree walking system for the game, instead of trying to have the character walk 8 directions (Secret of Mana), or just 4 (like classic Zelda). Hopefully this will make gameplay easier on an iPhone.

10. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Little demo .swf

Playing with animations and run cycles.

All the parts of Retro Knight (helmet, gloves, armor, boots, and weapon) are swappable (not yet... but will be in the game).

http://smileycrewproductions.com/RKtest.swf

Arrows + Space. Not sure if I am going to have diagonal or not.

11. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Before the RPG is released, I am making an Arcade/Platformer version called The Bridge of Snacksylvania! It will appear in the 5.0 update of www.scparcade.com due out at the very beginning of the new year.

Here's early demo. No enemies yet. (EDIT: I took down the old video. The newest is below)

The game is a 'runner' sorta. You don't run automatically, but the game is endless. You try to see how far you can get, and are awarded points for progress + collecting falling items. The controls are pretty slick if I do say so myself: you can charge up your sword and unleash 1 of 5 special attacks (borrowing the charge-up method from Secret of Mana), or charge up as you fight and unleash them as a finishing move. There will also be some of the weapons that will appear in the RPG.

No idea for a release date for the RPG yet, but I am all-in in January and aiming at March.

#11 noahbwilson, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  12. noahbwilson

Indie Author

So I was playing Retro Knight: TBoS last night ... addicting as fuck. I hope to post a video showing 85% done soon. I still need to add VO, some more sound effects, additional weapon power-ups, and maybe at least one more enemy.

The game is a weird combo of Flappy Bird (try and get as far as you can), Mario (Platformer), and ... idk ... some wacky RPG. There is some real stradegy too as you can charge up 6 different special moves to use in specific situations. Do you to up or down? Do you skip the points or battle 15 different monsters? There are a LOT of enemies. I have yet to test the game on an older iPhone/iPad, but it runs perfect on my iPhone SE.

13. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Game is done. Final demo video. All is well. Coming to www.scparcade.com in about a week. Challenge anyone to beat your score!

14. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Logo'd

Got a lot of work done. This is my project this year (probably through March). Current game plays like a silly version of Legend of Zelda. I hope to have some kind of video in a week showing progress.

Untitled-1.png

15. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I'm not sure what you are asking for, but I have a composer. If you wish to find work, I suggest applying to be a resource at www.indievideogames.com

16. Ricardo Contreras

Ricardo Contreras New Member

17. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Day 7 of official production:

- Controls (not attacking yet)
    - Switches
    - Color keys/locks
    - Number Pads
    - Purple Coins (collect 10 to open Purple lock)
    - Water (not seen in video, can walk through slowly)
    - Telepoters (not seen)
    - Big batch of items for points

Next:

- Basic enemies
    - Basic attacks
    - More Objects like tall trees, bridges, flowers, and dirt
    - Official Start and Finish of levels.

Feedback welcome!

18. noahbwilson

Indie Author

No new video yet, but I can say the first 'world' is starting to really look a lot like Mario without crossing copyright laws, so yay! The first world is called Mushroom plains, and features mushrooms you can cut down (like grass in Zelda), those famous "hills have eyes" mini hills from Mario, colored blocks, and yet enough original stuff like caves, hedges, rivers and stuff that I can safely call my own.

Retro Knight will also feature the ability to 'wade' through water. Obviously an armored knight cannot swim, but if the water is shallow enough, he can wade through it. He moves slower and cannot attack while wading.

I should have more time this week/weekend to make another video. Hopefully by then I will have the first few enemies, and the ability to kill them.

19. nam1995

nam1995 New Member

Look fun! Good job bro

20. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Thanks! I hope to have a playable demo by the end of the month.