Reflexive no longer a portal?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Roman Budzowski, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Hi
    I just got this from them - "...as of June 30, 2010 Reflexive Entertainment, Inc. will be shifting its business to focus entirely on game development, and will therefore stop selling your games through Reflexive.com and Game Center Solution affiliates on that date."

I gonna cry. One less portal to sell our games... or will it be two (incl. Amazon)? And it's the one I actually liked.

Roman

2. edmundba

edmundba New Member

Reflexive.com Closing Shop on June 30

Just saw this on reflexive.com:

Valued Customers,

As of June 30th, 2010, games will no longer be available for purchase on Reflexive.com.

Please be sure to install and activate your purchases prior to July 31st, 2010.

Wonder if this is the end for the affiliate program as well. Almost bet Amazon will try to roll affiliates into it's low payout program......... :(

3. Musenik

Original Member

Reflexive is shuttering their portal. Huh?

Got an email from Reflexive. Sounds like they are going to shift their operation to pure product development. I wonder if that means, Amazon will be eliminating their game downloads as well.

Sad event, either way, but I wish Reflexive a brighter future.

4. edmundba

edmundba New Member

Yep Affiliate Program is Dead

You will continue to have access to the Control Center until July 31, 2010 at which time we will distribute your final royalty report to the email address we have on file and our agreement with you governing the Game Center Solution Affiliate Program will terminate.

5. max196

max196 New Member

Gamecentersolution will be terminated?

I received this message. It's really shocking. Now what about us? :(

Dear Valued Affiliate,

I wanted to write to you today to thank you for your participation in the Game Center Solution Affiliate Program and to inform you that as of June 30, 2010, Reflexive Entertainment, Inc. will be terminating the Game Center Solution Affiliate program to focus entirely on game development.

Between now and June 30, 2010, the Game Center Solution Affiliate Program will continue its business as usual. We will continue to provide web service and support and pay referral fees on every qualified sale through June 30, 2010. We will stop processing sales after that date and our agreement with you governing the Game Center Solution Affiliate Program will terminate on June 30, 2010.

You will continue to have access to the Control Center until July 31, 2010 at which time we will distribute your final royalty report to the email address we have on file and our agreement with you governing the Game Center Solution Affiliate Program will terminate. Please be sure your contact information is current in our system.

We wish you all the best and hope that we will have more opportunities to work together in the future.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at affiliatesupport@reflexive.net.

Sincerely,

Lars Brubaker

CEO - Reflexive Entertainment, Inc.

6. papillon

Indie Author

Head over to BMT/Plimus and start signing up as direct affiliates for everything?

7. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Rules for business and general working life:

Rule #1: No employer or business associate ever really gives a damn about you. Never ever let yourself believe otherwise.

Rule #2: Arse cheeks should be permanently presented should anybody wish to give them a damn good kick.

Rule #3: The use of umbrellas is prohibited as this will impede any employer or business associate from shitting all over you.

....so, you get the idea with that.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I can understand the frustration when you have built tons of pages around all those games... but it's not the end!
    As papillon says, there are plenty of games to affiliate both on Plimus and BMT, selling at $19.99 and up.
    One of those sales = same income of 6-7 portal sales :)

9. Desktop Gaming

I suppose the biggest question is: Why?? You don't just ditch a catalog of over a thousand games without a very good reason, or an insanity certificate.

And will others follow suit? I mean, as if dropping the retail price by 65% without bothering to tell anybody they were doing it wasn't enough of a kick in the balls. We're just onlookers really, aren't we?

10. Spore Man

Indie Author

A casualty of the price wars is my guess. When the margins get squeezed too tight, it can become "not worth it".

I'd appreciate anyone posting what is the next best affiliate program that's as easy to use... ? I know people said to pimp games directly but other than that, what's next best thing that's similar to Refelxive's program? BFG? Amazon affiliates (does their affiliate program even extend to the game downloads??)

11. lennard

In a way this is an opportunity if people want to put in the work. I have enjoyed Reflexive because they bundled all the games neatly, I didn't have to worry about demo's just linking back to a dev's page and I knew I was going to get 40% and often if you work directly with a dev. you only get 30%...

Anybody who has a decent game and wants to get it on the Rusty Axe site merely needs to pay 40%, carry my titles on their site and work with BMTMicro or TrialPay. If this is you then feel free to send me an email and we'll get it worked out.

BTW, I got my titles back on Reflexive in February and thought it was going to be great. Net result is I haven't earned any more money and my traffic is way down as some of my affiliate chain switched over...

12. papillon

Indie Author

Amazon game downloads are reflexive-supplied. Is Amazon dropping their download system entirely? Or will there be some transition between them? Reflexive bowing out of the business isn't a complete surprise, but as Amazon's business model was all about having everything it seems more strange that *they'd* drop the huge catalog.

EDIT: Aha, just got mail from Amazon on that very subject.

See the threads about BFG gutting their affiliate program to take back control, and everyone's income drying up completely. :) (I have yet to receive my final payout from the old thing closing, either...)

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

It's the dawn of a new era! The era of tolik and the MMOs!! :D

14. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

They also parted ways with Terri Hardie, she will be missed; Paul Thelen and her are the two most trustworthy people in the industry. Hopefully Michael Mei is still onboard and Lars seems like a great guy too so hopefully they know what they are doing and they will do well. It does suck for all the affiliates, they had a pretty fearsome network.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

15. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

You are watching a business plan unfold. :)

(I don't think this happened by accident..)

16. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

You probably got the message already, but if not, Amazon is taking over the charge. The good news is that they don't drop the revenue share (still at previous level).

Recently I've seen higher sales for my games, but am not sure if it's because Amazon was new distribution channel or because Reflexive dropped the price.

Hopefully this will work out well for developers.

17. Pogacha

Original Member

A plan from who?

18. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

How exactly will we get our new games to appear on Amazon after June?

19. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

I was just noting that big changes like this usually don't happen by accident but are part of a longer range plan.

Usually... and I could of course be totally off base.

20. Olivier

Indie Author

What about the customers wishing to re-download the game installers after June 30th? I guess we could download and host these at our websites.

What about the customers wishing to reinstall their games after June 30th?