Featured Reality Check

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Bakkerbaard, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard New Member

Hello!

I'm here for a bit of a reality check, or just out of masochistic persuasion, to get a feel for how viable my pet project is. I've been googling around for a couple of hours now and as per usual I have come to the conclusion that posing my matters to actual humans is more beneficial.

So here's my deal.
    I've been seeing so much "indie" games pop up everywhere that I'm getting the impression it's... simple, so now I've taken it upon myself (again) to develop a game.
    While my usual megalomaniac ideas for massive open world games have been taken behind the shed and shot, I'm now setting up an adventure game - classic point & click LucasArts style.
    My problem is that I have no discernable skills, so once I get to the point where the story I have meticulously flowcharted is complete, I shall have to get other people involved.

So, I can, in theory, get a story set up and account for many if/then situations. I've played and loved more than enough adventure games to have a vague understanding of how something like that should be built, but what then?
    Let's assume I get to a point where I have a finished concept (which is questionable to start with).

- This Kickstarter or Patreon thing, for example. Do I beg for money first, or do I rope in some poor bastards to spend their own precious time on my sandcastle?
    - How does it work if I do get a small crew going (I'm thinking three people should do it: me, programmer, art-person)? I'm guessing it's not gonna be people down the street from me.
    - How do I handle... risque content? The way things are rolling now there's gonna be some and I don't like censoring myself.
    - What kind of a budget should I be thinking? I've got, like, $100 ready to go right now. Coffee's on me.
    - Assuming that you, kind reader, have indie-experience, what would your advise for a first-time, unskilled tosser be?
    - Lastly: My target audience is precisely 1. Me. I'm buidling a game for me. If it turns out other people are gonna like it, that's an added bonus. Should I keep going or best just stick to playing other people's games.

I know this is all a bit vague, but I've seen my other "glorious ideas" wither and die and I know I'm gonna get to a point where I'm gonna have to really wrack (is that a word?) my brain to make progress while I'd rather be checking out the next update for GTA and maybe I'm looking for someone to tell me to be realistic.

tl,dr?
    One guy on a crap laptop with only imagination for an asset: Do I make an adventure game or not?

2. RedC alcifer

RedC alcifer New Member

Well, the answers is you should ^^ at least try it, build up the main idea (the plot if you want) and try finding out some people who wanna work with you! You always learn from this experiences and you are letting your ideas flow, which I think it's more than great. Go on an adventure and don't hold back. Still, about the realistic part, $100 is not a huge amount if you are looking for a team, still it always depends on what the team demands. Aaaaand about the kickstarter thing, you should better show up a material first, whatever it is that you have, music, a storyline, some artwork... So that people can get interested and invest their money ^^

3. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard New Member

Yeah, that's basically what I started figuring not long after posting this, the kickstarter-part, I mean.
    Coincidentally, I went to a New Year's party and found out that I have alot (relatively speaking) of designers, playtesters and possibly programmers in my direct vicinity. Drunk ones, but still. ;o) How knew just going out and talking to people would be helpful...

Anyway, thanks for your reply. I'm gonna just go and see how long I can keep this current ship from sinking. Maybe I'll get it to destination this time.

4. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Hey Bakkerbaard,

You seem to be realistic about your odds already, or at least not too idealist. Making games is hard but it's fun, so you should definitely do it if you feel like it. Making games professionally is "f*cking hard you have no idea you'll want to shoot yourself" kind of hard. Attracting attention to you patreon / kickstarter / twitter account / etc.. is a job unto itself which will probably take you as much time as you'll be spending on your game. And you may not succeed in getting tractions anyway. There is SOOO MUCH competition in this field, so many people competing for attention.

My best advice for you (and for me as a matter of fact) is to do it but to consider it a hobby. Have fun doing it. Don't bother about thinking about money you could get out of it. If you focus too much on money, you'll get stressed out and anxious. I've read and known so many developers who were emotionally, physically and financially crushed in this adventure of trying to be an indie game dev. Be careful about your expectations.

So yeah, don't forget why you're doing it : to have fun!
    So have fun.

5. tmcarey

tmcarey New Member

First work up a concept design. A few images created on some paint program, like Paint.NET or GIMP. These images should include the essential information on your project. Then you can create a kickstarter to fund you, if needed. Keep in mind that you may not even need funding. If you put the time in, you won't have to spend the money.

These forums, and other indie forums, are a great place to start finding developers.
    *Biased opinion incoming*
    I designed World of Hello (available on Windows and Android) to allow indie developers to find other developers, and build together in-game. You can give access permissions to those you're working with, and collaboratively create free apps (even commercially free).

Simple. Either you allow it or you don't.
    When you release your application, the user rating is based on content, not user input. So if you have a game where people can chat, but the game itself doesn't have risqué content, you're fine to target younger audiences so long as you at least try to prevent it.
    Otherwise, requiring ages 18+ will allow you to have everything fully uncensored.

The more time you spend, the less money you need to pay.
    (Not trying to advertise, I'd just been through this process) World of Hello, the development system I released, was created entirely with free (even commercially) libraries so you can create whatever you want without paying a dime.
    Other development tools may charge you (1) after releasing the application (2) after getting a certain profit (3) instantly. It just depends on the tools you're using to build your application, and what their license states.

Don't give up. I started mobile app development in C++ (which is currently a nightmare) and began to think it wouldn't work out. Slowly I chipped away at bugs and cross-compilation errors, and now I have an advanced app on the Google Play Store.

Keep going. See my reply to the last question.

In my experience, having a released product, even if it gets the bare minimum of downloads, is better than nothing for a few different reasons.
    (1) You put your name out there. Meaning, when you apply for jobs (really any job, but mostly one where you might be doing development work), they will see you have designed something and went through the release cycle. For example, I was hired on the spot for a few different internships due to having been in the development stages, and having released an application (even if they were terrible).
    (2) You show you can critically think, and adapt. This process is especially good for mental training. When you design any sort of application, you have to think about 100% of the situations. If this happens, then this, otherwise this.
    (3) It's a great hobby. Some people have unproductive hobbies, such as watching TV all day, or having a beer or 3 with friends often. This is something you can see actual results in, and if you have a good friend/family group, they will support you all the way.

Make whatever you want to make. Just remember that building a game is a step-by-step process, you aren't going to build it over-night.