Real Estate Empire 3

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by lennard, Jan 22, 2014.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

In 2014 I'm going to work on more features and art packs for Dungeon Demon Online. The other thing I'm going to do is release a browser based version of Real Estate Empire 3! A return to the strategic game play found in Real Estate Empire 1 and Big$hot, Real Estate Empire 3 will feature renters, foreclosure sales, gentrification of neighborhoods along with an update of all of the best feature of REE 1, REE2 and Big$hot!

Here's a WIP of the town view of the game:

[​IMG]

2. Leon

Original Member

Looks very good. With it being a browser game, are you intending to make profits through advertising?

3. lennard

Thanks Leon. I'm intending to make it available for free with ads, monthly subscription with no ads (and potentially some perks) and I may try and wrap the thing with Intels XDK to make it available in the app. stores. As a niche market app. store app. I'd be trying for a price point that doesn't cannibalize my back catalog, ie. $19.99. The jury is out on that last concept.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Looks good lennard. What tech did you use to create this?

5. lennard

Thanks Bruno, to answer your question:

HTML/CSS/Javascript/jQuery/PHP

I'm using Aptana but planning to test PhpStorm or SublimeText with XDebug for better PHP productivity.

6. bantamcitygames

Nice... I was hoping you were using a super easy sdk :)

7. lennard

[​IMG]

Here is an updated Real Estate Empire 3 screenshot. I expect to have something up later this week that users can play on desktop/tablet on devices with resolution of 1024x768+.

Real Estate Empire 3 takes everything that was good about REE1, blends in everything I learned in making Real Estate Empire - DECK and adds features that folks have requested over the years. Will also include a game builder so you can customize the game to create any kind of market you want.

Bruno! How come my images now show up as URLs (unless I hand tweak tag to img - see above)???

8. bantamcitygames

Hmmm... not sure, they all seem to show up as images as far as I can tell. Does anyone else see them as links?

9. Leon

Original Member

I see the pictures, and they look good.

10. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

Looks good here. Can't wait to try the game! ;)

11. lennard

Thanks all! Expect a pre-alpha build to be publicly available early next week. Real Estate Empire 3, the deepest Real Estate Empire yet!

[​IMG]

After fooling around with HTML/Javascript/PHP for a few years I've finally taken the plunge. At this point I can recommend it as a path for the right game, fast iteration and you can target a lot of devices at once. Discovery can be an issue, I'll let you guys know how it goes as the year goes on.

12. lennard

Spent the day tuning and testing. Works fine on my Windows 7 machine with Chrome and Firefox. Tested on my 1st gen. iPad which was a bit slow because of the internet connection, much snappier on Jennifer's (my wife) new iPad Mini.

[​IMG]

The image shown is why I am really enjoying javascript game development. I found I needed a scrolling window for when you have more rents than will fit on a screen - CSS3 has a handy overflow-y command that will allow me to create a vertically scrolling dialog without having to build it myself. I know web designers are rolling their eyes but, man, what a timer saver!

Rents and mortgages shown are for a 3 month time frame. Should be posting a build in a day or two!

13. lennard

I've just posted the pre-alpha build of Real Estate Empire 3! The game is played over 5 years spread across 20 seasons. At this point I believe I will be providing a simulator and game version of the product. The game will feature a high score board and fixed prices, stable economy, no credit rating and reliable renters. The simulation version will have a sophisticated editor that will allow you to customize the program to create any kind of market that you would like to simulate and build market strategies against.

In the near term I will be adding AI's for the non-human competitors and a high score board - most likely I will release them sometime next week, ie. March 17-21.

You can register an account (email, user name, password) and then play the game here: http://www.RustyAxe.com/bgames/ree3/index.php

[​IMG]

14. bantamcitygames

Hey Lennard, I just registered on the site and noticed a couple things. The password field wasn't a password field (shown as plain text), and the welcome screen said, "Welcome null from Southington!" and my name tag once I started the game was blank.

I did notice sometimes the random For Sale sign was over top of properties I already owned. I also think the renovation was slightly too cheap. I often was able to renovate without ever upgrading.

I accidentally closed the window and when I went back in and clicked resume it said:
    Warning: fopen(../storage/GameData_bcampolo_XXXXXX<my actual password, yikes. Salt + Hash man!>.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/lennard/public_html/bgames/ree3/common/commonCore.php on line 129
    Cannot open file: ../storage/GameData_bcampolo_XXXXXX<my actual password>.txt

So I started a new game and played through to the end. Overall the game was fun, but I really wanted to be able to haggle on the price. When I purchase I want to be able to make an offer and see if it were accepted and in that same vein I wanted to be able to set my rent which may result in the place being vacant if the rent were set too high, etc. I ended at about 1M if that means anything to you :)

Looks like you have something here so good luck with it!

15. lennard

Thanks Bruno, I will look into those bugs in the AM. You should not have been able to play with a null name - top of my AM to do list.

Will increase reno. price. I am adding AI's next but will soon start to work on a simulation branch of the game. The game branch will be fairly similar to the game you played today with AI's, a foreclosure auction system and a high score board.

The simulation will have a game editor so you can set different kinds of markets. You will be able to haggle. You will be able to set a renter market type for the game (high rent demand, poor economy with low rental demand, etc.). Renters will apply for rent (you will have different qualities of renter so you can hold out for a good renter or start getting rent now with a not so great renter). Renters will do damage in the simulation version of the game. There will be a foreclosure auction, an economic cycle, seasons will matter in terms of the kind of offers you will receive when you try to sell. You will have a credit rating that improves when you do pay your bills - better credit rating means better terms and the ability to put less down on a loan.

16. lennard

Fixed the sign in bug and added some AI's. Bruno, I gave you a shout out on my Facebook page for finding the bug! BTW Bruno, your Invadazoid link in your sig. is broken.

Play Real Estate Empire 3 for free in your browser: http://rustyaxe.com/bgames/ree3/index.php

[​IMG]

17. bantamcitygames

Thanks for the shout out. I'm not sure what happened to the link... need to check my domain pointers. Thanks for letting me know.

18. lennard

19. bantamcitygames

I gave it another go. I like the new offer ability. Definitely adds gameplay. I noticed I can not even make an offer if I don't have the starting Down Payment amount, even though the down payment might be less depending on my offer and I may have whatever that amount is. I wasn't sure if this was intentional or just an oversight. I liked playing against the computer too. Gave me something to shoot for.

I also just noticed that I can click Resume after my game has ended and it says turn 21 of 20 and lets me play one more round. I can keep doing this and it keeps incrementing.

Coming along nicely!

#19 bantamcitygames, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. lennard

Thanks Bruno, the increment past 20 is (should be) fixed in the next build.

I had thought about the loan issue and decided that if you are that close you simply don't qualify. I have changed the UI to know print the text in red:

"Can't qualify for mortgage"

which should clarify things.