Publisher percentage app store sales

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by JGOware, Jan 17, 2012.

1. JGOware

Indie Author

I might be going through a publisher for a few projects and I was wondering what's the typical percentage for the publisher if they do all the marketing? Thx.

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

For my limited experience, it is between 50% to 60% kept by the publisher (after Apple cut of course). Witch publisher do you have in mind?

JC

3. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

No 'publisher' spends any money marketing casual pc/appstore games - just so you know. Otherwise, it depends on your game. If the game is really good and it looks like it will sell well, publishers can allow you to negotiate a little.
    On Apple Appstore:
    You should get minimum 50%. You might be able to get upto 60%.

On PC Casual:
    30-35% is what you get, don't settle for anything less, but you won't get more either- publishers have the upper hand here.

4. Mochek

Original Member

Are you getting an advance before you give it to them or is going to just be a royalty split?

5. JGOware

Indie Author

Thanks for the replies. It's for mobile projects and the offer seems fair based on my research and posts here. Cheers. ;)

6. NicolasGB

NicolasGB New Member

Depends if they're paying for the dev budget. If it's a marketing deal only, 15% is fair, 50% is not.

7. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

50% is reasonable as long as they're putting up a big advance (and I mean big, as a commitment indicator) and are promising (contractually) to market it hard.

You'll be amazed how many contracts start out with a clause allowing them to sit back and not actually sell the game ffs.

8. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

Applewood,

When you say "promising (contractually) to market it hard." what specific list of marketing tasks would you expect the publisher to do?

9. Applewood

First off, find the "We don't have to market it at all" clause and have it removed - there's often one there. Then insist a minimum advertising budget is laid out. And then insist that just as they will ask you to not make any similar games for a while in a non-compete clause, get them to agree to the same thing and not publish any others.

Stuff like that, there's no solid rules but you need to be aware that what's in the contract is the entirety of your agreement, not what you talk about face to face. And what you talk about face to face often assumes defaults such as "yes, we will actually try and sell this for you".

Just imagine, you sign over your lifes work and they genuinely think its a real earner and are all over it, coming up with great angles to market it and make everyone rich. And then in three months someone comes to them with an even better game...

I'm not casting any aspersions here, it's just you need to look at contracts from the "how do they get out of this" direction before signing them. The "what's in it for me" stuff is what people (me included) are inclined to fussy over but it's not the most important part.

10. NicolasGB

NicolasGB New Member

I'm 100% with Applewood there :
    - 50 % can be fine if they give a large advance. With 15% I was refering to marketing deals only, no advance.
    - They should help you market it and they should be specific. Ask them to lay out their marketing plan for you. I've seen too many publishing deals including a minimum marketing budget, only for that budget to get swallowed into a broad list of non-specific, non mesurable actions : "you'll benefit from our notoriety", "we'll get a booth at E3 to promote all our games", etc.
    Here's helpful advice I found : http://pocketcyclone.com/2011/02/03/six-questions-to-ask-a-mobile-publisher/

11. Applewood

Good link, thanks.