PUBLISHED DEVS: New "Review for Review" Site In Dev. FREE.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by noahbwilson, Aug 25, 2016.

1. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I'm getting sick and tired of people just posting "hey, play my game!" and I'm also sick and tried of posting "hey, play my game." and getting no response. I'm as guilty as you are of doing this. So to strike back at apathy, I'm starting to develop a website where published devs can upload their games, and then trade reviews for reviews.

The site is currently called The Game Dev Exchange (GDX). This is how it WILL work. (The site is not done yet.)

1) Sign up. Free. Forever.
    2) Upload up to 10 of your Apps (information, not the App itself).
    3) Browse other Apps to see games that might interest you.
    4) Contact the author and suggest a Review Swap.
    5) If agreed, each author downloads the other's game, plays it, and then gives an honest review in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. If it's not an App, well ... I'm open to ideas. I'm not on Steam or anything like that.
    6) Both authors get a review and a bump. Short reviews like "cool." or "it was neato." are not allowed and are regarded as "not a review".
    7) If one party does NOT hold up their part of the bargain, they could be deleted/banned.

This is to strike back at apathy for other people's work we all share (yes, you do), as well as get some free marketing for indie devs who have no money. Thoughts? I'll keep you posted on developments and when the site will launch. Hopefully in September.

#1 noahbwilson, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Triysten likes this.
  2. Osmosis D. Jones

Osmosis D. Jones New Member

hi :)
    I think the websites where non app games can be launched also have a possibility for feedback. So there is no difference as long as the game is published at one of the sites with a possibility with feedback. Maybe the web said has to have a list of such sites and the check. (steam has feeback)
    greetings
    Os

3. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I figured as much. I just don't know the ends and outs of the site. I'll have to have a PC/non-App advisor assist in that department.

4. noahbwilson

Indie Author

5. Osmosis D. Jones

The ends and outs of which site? steam?
    sadly i don't know very much about this publisher sites :(
    great work! i would suggest a "feature" where additional publisher sites can be suggested, so you don't have to search for all but also don't limit the community.
    greetings
    Os

6. noahbwilson

Indie Author

The current site is VERY temp. I am working on something more fancy to be released late next month. Trying to rally devs.

7. Osmosis D. Jones

Of course :) I would just suggest to add some text like "(suggest new publishersite with feedbacksystem at @scpwords.)" after "We accept only completed iOS, Droid, or Steam games."
    I'm looking forward to the next version. Sadly i have no finished game otherwise i would join in.
    greetings
    OS

8. noahbwilson

Indie Author

We'll your always free to review games :D

Osmosis D. Jones likes this.
  9. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

It is important to think about the reviews, and how they will be handled.

I've been burnt before with this - a site that promised just that: a review for a review, and even chose randomly which game I would review.

And so I enrolled, and posted the app store review. But no review ever came to my game.

Then I noticed: it was a scam. There were no "random" game, it was always the same game to be reviewed over and over, and the dev from that never reviewed anything. Of course, I went back into the review and changed it to reflect this issue.

So... you could be facing some problems:
    - devs who won't post a review back
    - people changing their reviews after posted
    - devs who says they will post a review soon... and never getting to do it. (This could be solved by a deadline to review)

This is just stuff I see beforehand... probably there will be more issues to tackle than just these!

idurvesh likes this.
  10. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Believe me I'm on the same boat.

Reviewers will be closely monitored, and devs (and their Apps) whom do not keep up their part of the bargain will be banned and blacklisted. I will be imposing a 1-week deadline.

11. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

There are lots of such sites available for example look at this , http://androidexchangereviews.com/ http://www.exappreviews.com/ ..What would make your site unique? Why shall one choose your site over those?

As far as I know, Review exchange is not recommended .......

One good reason is likes of play store and app store gives more weight to uninstallation of app over ratings/review...So with review exchange user who will download my app for review will uninstall it instantly ....My game score in those store will become -1 if not zero

12. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Well for starters... these are only Google Play.

13. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Nice idea if its going to be moderated, there are already like 10 sites for review exchange but they are flooded with spam reviews, people put one word in a review and dont even open your game. Useless as the reviews are just deleted from the stores.

14. noahbwilson

Indie Author

It will be moderated and self-policed/flagged. One word reviews result in banned users/their Apps or games.