Proper handling of getting customer newsletter subscriptions

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Grey Alien, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Grey Alien

Indie Author

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

3. Nexic

Indie Author

Nah, it was optional in reality (had a tiny "optional" text under the input box) but made it looks like it was mandatory. Yes I did get far more fake emails, if I remember right it went up from 0.5% bounce, to 5% at one point. Of course any good newsletter provider removes those the first time they fail so it's not a huge deal. Yeh, I'm sure I lost a few downloads with that system, but the reward of having 10-20 times more signups was way too good to pass up.

4. Tobias

Indie Author

You can also have BMT send a request to an URL of your choosing, then you use some PHP magic and the YMLP API to not have to do it manually. Also, create custom fields in YMLP: boolean boughtGame, boolean signedUp

That's what we do, so now we can send emails to only those who bought but didn't sign up, those who signed up but didn't buy, and those who both bought and signed up. Treat each group different.

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Thanks for the info Nexic.

@Tobias: Yeah I'd love to get the BMC to YMLP sign up automated although not sure how to do it yet. Is it easy? I already have several different fields for game bought and also I group customers based on if they are game customers and/or newsletter subscribers and other things so I can do decent filtering when sending out newsletters (same effect as you)

6. filharvey

Original Member

Hey, I've had a small game running on facebook for a while now, and I have collected about 50k emails from it, and it is growing by about 500-2000 per day now. The game is not monetizing very well, but any suggestions from people on how I could monetize the emails collected so far.

Phil

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Holy crap that's a lot of emails. Yeah make some paid games and email your list about it. Or improve your FB game, or make another one and send traffic to it.

8. filharvey

Original Member

Yep definitely looking at improving the game, but time (and ofcourse money) is an issue. Definitely looking at making some new FB games and directing the traffic at it.

I was shocked at the number of people visiting the game, is still low, but ok for a game done with no financing (just spare time). As general info, the emails are mostly women, 70% and between the age of 13 and 35 (split kind of evenly).

Phil

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Just affiliate some of my games and send a newsletter to them then. Results guaranteed :D
    (or maybe not, depends what kind of FB game it was?)

10. filharvey

Original Member

Was a 3D Pet Game. looking after a dog.

11. filharvey

Original Member

Anyone have good experience on how to set up a mailing list and control sending it out. I'm looking MailChimp at the moment.

What do people recommend?

Phil

12. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah what Jack said. Affiliate some of my games via BMT (Like The Wonderful Wizard of Oz for Thanksgiving and Holiday Bonus for Christmas), I know for a fact they convert well with the audience you have captured based on BFG sales stats.

13. filharvey

Original Member

I will look at setting up a Mailing List. And trying it soon. Will let you guys know which games I link to. And we can see how it works.

Phil

14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Cool. I recommend ymlp.com

15. filharvey

Original Member

What sort of % do you see conversion rates for? So with a 50k mailing list what could I expect?

Phil

16. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Depends on the portal and the game, but for the right audience (casual gamers used to the try before you buy model) 2-4%, so at 50% commission of $9.95 multiplied by say 3% = $7.5K. It's possible a lot of the Facebook players just prefer free games though even if they are in the causal gamer demographic, and won't convert that well. So the reality will probably only be a few hundred dollars. Also you should probably check what your original privacy policy said e.g. did it say you'd only send emails about your FB game or your games, or anything of interest (i.e. partner games)?

17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Oh, if you do want to affiliate my games, I can make a special time-limited discount code for your mailing list only, say 30%-50% to make it sound more attractive.