Post your mistakes!

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Christian, Jun 13, 2007.

1. michalczyk

Original Member

Not realizing how hard, and what a massive amount of work it is, to sell your work in sufficient amounts to make a living from it! Developing is the fun part, but making a living from it is an entirely different story. Marketing, SEO, promotion, etc... boring stuff but necessary.

2. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

It was 4 different kinds of makefiles. MinGW stuff was breaking all the time, MSVC stuff was breaking fairly often. Internally, the Chicken Scheme compiler was using 3 different ways to handle all of this. Quoting and escapes for all the different systems was a nightmare. CMake was a great tool for consolidating the difficulties, but a lot of the difficulties were in Chicken itself. It's much easier to convert systems that are already building well on all the platforms to be supported.

3. coffee

Original Member

Discovering a little game called World of Warcraft, lets just say I have done very little in the last year, not that I did much b4 that any way,

4. NathanR

NathanR New Member

Biggest mistake Skill City ever made:

Assuming people would read the directions before playing a game.

Most of us here are developers so we all know that you gotta see how it works before you try to use it, but most of us here are human so we assume we are smart enough to figure it out on our own.

The general public makes that same assumption.

I know lots of others yell it from the mountain tops all the time. Countless websites, blogs, seminars and books tell you its true as well.

Never assume people read directions. They don't. Then they get all pissed when they do terrible at your games because it uses they keyboard instead of the mouse, or vice versa. etc.

5. Pelican

Pelican New Member

My biggest mistakes so far:

• Assuming I'd have time to write my own game while still working full time as a game developer AND having a girlfriend.
    • Writing everything myself from scratch rather than using a cost-effective middleware solution (and I might just make this mistake again!)
    • Worrying so much about optimisation for things that don't matter that I painted myself into a corner with regard to certain game features.
    • Thinking just because I'd finished games before (14-odd years since I made a game all on my own though!), it'd be easy.
    • Feeling guilty every second I'm not working on my game, and not allowing myself R&R time.
    • Not working as hard as I could. There - I've said it!
    Having said all that, the game is in good shape, and I WILL finish it!

6. Slapdash

Slapdash New Member

Biggest mistake has to be - Not listening to my gut.

7. BRJC

BRJC New Member

so, how did this turn out?