Post your mistakes!

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Christian, Jun 13, 2007.

1. princec

Indie Author

haha, all the fun was really to be had somewhere in the 2500 Dexterity messages too ;)

Hm, I'm beginning to realise where all my time has been going...

Cas :)

2. KNau

Original Member

The biggest mistake I ever made was releasing and then abandoning my games. It's a popular mistake so I don't feel too bad about it but it goes against the very fundamentals of this business. I released games and then basically forgot about them. No expansion packs, no sequels, no "community development", nothing.

There's no doubt in my mind that I would have made more money and been in a better position businesswise if I had taken my first project (Power Mad) and kept updating and expanding it for the past 4 years rather than release the 3 games that followed.

And when I had a project that was a near miss (Piggy Banker) I just let it die rather than refine the game to appeal to the audience that was downloading in droves but not converting well. Hell, even my true stinkers could have been rescued if I had invested the time.

What it boils down to is that I chased the wrong business model. Even though I had some success with my first game, I saw all the fabulous portal success stories and that caused me to go after a market that I'm not interested in or passionate about.

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I don't know if it's a mistake per se, as I did prepare for it. Don't assume 1 year is enough to get off the ground, especially after doing retail development (i.e. burn out). Two maybe, but the more time you can give yourself, the better.

4. Sharpfish

Original Member

I think you are right! (gone past 1,268 now). ;)

In fairness, not ALL of those 1000 + posts were rubbish, most of the earlier posts I made were fairly helpful (in the technical sub forum IIRC with answers about DirectX and other stuff). Funny thing is, i've now spent so long looking at the business/web side of things the stuff I helped out with back then I have since forgotten and would have to brush up on again to be of use.

Now... i'm off to the success thread, if you don't see a post from me it means I am a total failure. ;P

5. Nikster

Original Member

Being born, although that wasn't really my mistake.

6. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

To contrast, everything I say is rubbish. ;)

7. Lka

Lka New Member

Wasting years with DX and Opengl and free engines, making a too complex first game. Now I have commercial engine and software and I'm near to complete my first simple game.

8. Backov

Original Member

Not fully committing to any of my big idea projects and thus wasting a couple years of dev time playing games and fucking around. Ugh.

With my current project, even though I'm not that wild about it, I find that being fully committed to it is really helping it move along towards completion.

9. flyaflya

flyaflya New Member

Pay more energy on programing, but little on design and art, so the game get low quality and bad sell.

10. Techdojo

Techdojo New Member

Well I downloaded the demo's yesterday and I was quite impressed - found Ultratron a bit easy (but very highly polished), unfortunately the Alien Flux demo is over six months old and won't run as the app say's it's expired so I didn't get to play that 8-( the screenies looked nice though.

Would you be so kind as to share those tips, I'm sure we'd all like to see our conversion rates go up! :cool:

Jon...

11. princec

Indie Author

Ah well, there are loads of teeny tips really... could do with a separate thread on the matter.

Cas :)

12. Techdojo

Techdojo New Member

Go on then :cool:
    Just remember to cross post a link...

You know - this is what makes this forum such a great resource.

13. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

1) Partnering with someone I didn't know very well. We were too different. If you're going to be partners with someone, you have to be like two arrows pointed at the same target, or else you'll pull each other in different directions.

1a) I actually realized mistake 1 fairly early on, and told my partner I wouldn't want to work with him unless I would have the final word on major decisions. This doesn't work either :) When any given person is doing a large chunk of the work, they're going to have a huge influence on the direction of the project.

2) Poorly architected code. After a certain point my previous projects became unmanagable. But this happens everywhere in software development. I really don't see how I could of avoided it, as the only way to really learn how to engineer software is by doing it :)

14. Pyabo

Original Member

After 10 years of professional experience in the software industry, I can't think of a single instance where I looked at a "mature" set of code and thought, "Wow, this is really slick... the code makes sense, it's logically organized, it's well-commented, and all the pieces fit together well."

Edit: Mine included.

#34 Pyabo, Jun 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  15. Techdojo

Techdojo New Member

I'd like to say that all of my code was - but... Naaaa :cool:

Well at least I start with good intentions... :cool:

Jon...

16. bignobody

Indie Author

Just about everyone said calling my game Shlongg was a mistake. I'm still not convinced :)

17. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

Yeah, I think that no one in the field of software engineering / programming really knows what they're doing. The field is just too young. But I think we'll eventually get to the point where easily maintainable, efficient, etc. code is the norm. With every failed project I feel like I've taken great strides toward this goal.

Of course just figuring out how to write nice code on my own is hard enough. If I ever start trying to code alongside other people, that'd be a whole 'nother (giant) can of worms.

18. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I'll back you up there. The fact that there's a game that goes by Schlong, I can't forget it. It's burned in to my brain. It keeps me up at night. ;)

You also now have "From the developer of Shlongg, comes ... new game!" to your advantage. Play it up. :)

19. bignobody

Indie Author

See, it's a double edged sword. Like many people, you can't forget it, but you haven't bought it either :) So on a recognition level, it was something of a success. On a financial level, clearly a mistake.

The next one is called "Wytches Brew" (not much to see yet - currently in semi-private alpha release)- a little more respectable as it is for a different target audience. We'll see how that one goes...

20. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

This used to also be a killer for me, especially because it takes me awhile to write a post/e-mail since I put a lot of thought into it. I'm not a fast writer.

Though I've gotten fairly disciplined with my forum usage in the past couple of years. I normally average just under a post a day and when I need to grind it out with my in-development games, my postings drops off further. For instance, I've only made about 6 posts on this board in the last 2 months (normally I'd have about 50-60 posts in the same period).

Then again, the threat of starving and not being able to pay the mortgage is a real motivator to limit forums and other distractions. :D If I had a comfortable day job (or made a lot of money comfortably as an Indie), I might be tempted to slack off more. Though I'm hoping I develop enough good habits, so I'll be productive in both famine and feast.