Pokemon GO, Similar Ideas?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Ahmio, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Ahmio

Ahmio New Member

Do you guys think anyone would be interested in a game similar to pokemon go but with without the pokemon brand? I feel like these GPS based games are quite interesting, but I'm not sure whether it would be better to improve on the monster catching formula or make a totally different game.

What do you guys think? An improved pokemon go or another type of game? (maybe an rpg, or something like monster hunter)

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Do a little more research and look into "Augmented Reality" games before going forward. There's a whole world out there of AR games that might give you more inspiration than just Pokemon GO.

3. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

An important factor of Pokemon Go is the fan base and history of Pokemon prior to Go's release.

Keep that in mind.

4. Ahmio

Ahmio New Member

Good idea, never really thought of that. Any games in particular?

Fair enough, I'm hoping good gameplay + concept can overcome that.

5. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Generally it can but you aren't gonna reach Pokemon Go status instantly.

6. Ahmio

Ahmio New Member

I don't think it'll be as successful as Pokemon GO, I'll settle for Angry Birds ;) But for real, even moderate success would be nice. If only I could think of a good theme now...

7. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Success of mobile games is 90% marketing. Look at all these crappy "Clash of" games. Flappy Bird was popular by cheating. It doesn't matter how good your game is.

With that said: I told my friend who works on some AR stuff that it would be cool to instead of CATCHING Pokemon, to fight them. You could do a sort of "Ghostbusters" type game where you hunt monsters in the real world, and you have to go to places to fight them, find treasure chests, etc. A new twist on Larping.

8. Rekusi

Indie Author

Yeah the possibilities are pretty endless. Imagine making something really creepy where you raise the device, see a body hanging, put device down, back up, its missing, put device down, back up, and dead person is directly in front of you.