[Paid] iPhone developer to convert a music system from Win32

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)' started by Raptisoft, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Hi all,

I'm looking to pay someone money, actual money, to fix some music playing code from Windows to iPhone.

What I currently have is a music interface class that simply streams CAF files as background music for my games. The class has two limitations that I would like fixed:

#1: It cannot crossfade. For reasons I don't understand, the audio code simply crashes when I attempt to play two songs at once. I don't know Mac/iPhone low-level operations well enough to fix this.

#2: There's a significant hitch/hiccup when playing a new song. I assume this is from disk access to start streaming. So what I'd like to have added is some sort of something that, on startup, brings a chunk of all the songs in the music folder into memory, just so they can be ready for immediate queuing.

If you're man enough to try this, let me know how much it costs. If you'd like an XCode project to look at to make a better estimate, just PM me.

Thanks,
    John

2. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I believe that iphones/ipods/etc can only STREAM one audio file at a time--everything else has to be preloaded.

I'm not familiar with CAF, but I know that decoding of compressed files on iphones can be quite cpu consuming.

With that said, I am not a programmer.

3. Jim Buck

Indie Author

What are you currently using for your audio on iOS? We've used some old SoundEngine code (the sample stuff floating around from early dev) and are now using FMOD, but I've done low-level audio coding in the past (not on iOS, though, but on console and PC [the latter with PortAudio]).

4. dannthr

dannthr New Member

It's great to see more indies using stuff like FMOD! I know the licensing fee can seem steep at first, but it's AWESOME for people like me on the design side.

5. Raptisoft

Indie Author

FMod is not a good fit for me because of the amount of CPU it takes.

Right now I'm using CoreAudio... are you telling me that using uncompressed CAFs might be faster? Because that is an option, my current game is coming in at under 3mb.

6. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I'm not sure, man, like I mentioned before, I'm not familiar with CAF container as I do not use them myself.

What encoding format are you using for your audio? Simply experimenting with different codecs might reveal some optimization for the iphone (or, heck, people might have noted this before as well).

I would shoot for a more compatible compression codec rather than totally uncompressed--especially if you're thinking of preloading your music files for interactive cross fades.

7. nsmadsen

nsmadsen New Member

Dan's right. MP3 for streaming music. WAV or CAF for one hit audio files (sound effects) which are loaded then off loaded as needed.

Side note: CAF is just another audio format. I've used it alot and can export it out via Logic. It's typically a bit smaller than WAV, still sounds good and doesn't hit the iPhone CPU too hard. Some clients only want CAF while others are fine with either one.

Thanks,

Nate

8. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

MP3 for music and WAV for short sounds effects is what I like too.

But aren't there licensing issues with MP3 ?

9. nsmadsen

nsmadsen New Member

From what I remember, yes there are licensing fees if you sell over a certain number of units. I don't know the exact number but as a freelancer I leave it to the developer/publisher to clear that as I'm (usually) only a work for hire.

10. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Yeah, after a brief investigation into CAF, I see that it is like the quicktime MOV format, which is a container format and could utilize any number of compression codecs (I seem to recall over a dozen MOV codecs available to me in my video editing program--I would not be surprised if there were several options for CAF).

Ogg has been an option, but that's one where I've definitely heard CPU decoding complaints.

Mp3 also does not loop seamlessly.

11. nsmadsen

nsmadsen New Member

Can the iPhone stream ogg files in a game? I've never had a client request or use ogg for an iPhone game. But very true about the MP3 looping. You have to either remove the silent gaps yourself with a 3rd party tool that "trims" those sections or have the programmer set the audio engine to "subtract" the length of the silent gaps. I've used both methods with success.

Nate

12. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Yes, but you have to code it yourself and it's very CPU intensive. This is why it is recommended to have just 1 background music streaming in the background using the hardware to decompress it.

JC