Open Source Projects - Do you use them?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Bobuido, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Bobuido

Bobuido New Member

I was wondering...

I know quite a few of you will have worked or dabbled with OpenGL but what other Open projects do you use for study / work? Not just to create but also management, communication etc.

I've been using quite a lot over the past couple of years to aid me in my job as a web monkey. I've kind of fallen in love with the Ubuntu project. I only keep a Doze partition around to play games. What else is Windows good for.

I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who uses BlenderGE or OGRE. I've dabbled with Blender (but not the GE) and I've spotted the OGRE project but not really looked into it too much.

I'd be especially interested to hear from people who can show me a final product created (even in part) by open tools

When I'm a bit less busy I'm starting a FOSS community site. I'd love to have some games to showcase.

Thanks

(Yes I'm a strong FOSS advocate - Throw stones at me if you want)

:)

2. princec

Indie Author

Nearly everything we use inside and outside of games is open sourced and/or free.

For any work we use:
    Eclipse (and many plugins)
    Java

For game work we use:
    LWJGL
    SPGL (it's ours but we open sourced it on SF)
    NSIS Installer

WinAmp (got to listen to something while coding eh?)

For "work" work we use:
    MySQL
    PostgreSQL
    JBoss
    Seam
    J2EE

Cas :)

3. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I run my business and do all my development on KUBuntu. For my games, which are all 2D, I use:
    SDL
    SDL_mixer
    Ogg/Vorbis
    OpenGL
    FreeImage
    cURL
    boost

I create my game graphics with GIMP, I use Audacity and Sonik for my audio editing, NEdit for my code editor, Makefiles to build, ddd to debug, Thunderbird for e-mail, and gFTP for uploading to my web site.

I use Bitrock for my Linux installers. While it isn't FOSS and isn't free for commercial use, it is free for open source projects to use. And it works great. I believe InstallJammer is FOSS, however, and I recommended it as a good alternative in my recent series of Linux Game Development articles on GameDev.net.

I use Crossover Linux for the Windows apps that I can't live without, like FrontPage, FeedForAll, and Quicken. Crossover Linux isn't FOSS, but it is necessary since there are no decent open source alternatives to these programs yet IMO.

4. Bobuido

Bobuido New Member

Nice work guys

I particularly like the look of

Dirk Dashing (love the characters)

and

Tribal Trouble (who doesn't love a multilayer battle!)

When my boss isn't breathing down my neck I'd love to try them out

Would either of you like to write a little piece for the site when it goes live? Be good to get a couple of little shops going too. One for open source games and one for closed source games created with open tools. This won't be for a while but something for the future maybe?

5. Borundin

Borundin New Member

Most of the libraries and tools I have used for my game Mulver (link in signature) is open source. It has worked out pretty well. Seems I have always been able to get help from the communities if there is a problem.

Libraries:
    • OGRE (great 3D engine!)
    • ODE
    • Lua
    • OIS
    Tools:
    • Visual Studio Express (Free but not Open source)
    • Blender (models, level editor)
    • Gimp
    • NSIS Installer

6. Coyote

Indie Author

Well, kind of a repeat of what everyone else is using:

Blender
    Gimp
    Audacity
    NSIS Installer
    OpenAL
    OpenGL

I HAVE used Python, PyGame, and SDL in the past.

7. ChrisP

Indie Author

Pretty similar to GolfHacker:

* I use Ubuntu for day-to-day stuff, so some of my most-used tools are from the Gnome package: gedit for coding and other plain text editing, Rhythmbox for music, Gimp for image editing.

* Mayhem Intergalactic uses OpenGL, SDL, SDL_mixer (which depends on libogg, libvorbis), SDL_image (which depends on libpng), and SDL_ttf (which depends on Freetype2). It's written in D and therefore principally uses the DMD compiler which is only partly open source, but it will use the GDC compiler (a fusion of the open source front end of DMD and the back end of GCC) for the upcoming Mac OS X port, since DMD isn't available for Mac.

* MI's Windows installer uses NSIS. The Linux installer for the upcoming Linux port uses Installjammer. There is no Mac installer as it's just an app bundle on that platform. :)

* Firefox for web browsing, Thunderbird for email.

8. elias

Original Member

We create all of our games almost exclusively with open source tools on linux:

Java (not quite open source yet (95% or so))
    Ant
    Lzma
    LWJGL
    Vim
    OpenAL
    OpenGL (strictly speaking OpenGL is only open source on some linux configurations, but the API itself is open)
    JInput (java input library)
    Gimp
    Getdown (Three Rings distribution library)
    NSIS (yes, nsis can build windows installers from linux)
    ... and multiple other small linux utilities

Our servers run linux too with the standard OSS services:
    MySQL
    Apache
    PHP
    Tomcat

PHP frameworks:
    Drupal
    phpbb
    Mediawiki

- elias

9. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I've just started to look at Google's 'Android' open source SDK it looks quite good on the surface for mobile based projects.

10. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

Generally I tend to be careful about third-party components in my code, as development tends to become more risky with every third-party lib you introduce. I definately stay away from all the "open source" stuff with GPL or similar licensing.

If you want to make something free, make it free, not free with conditions. Sometimes I think GPL etc is doing more harm than good... :cool:

11. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I'd rather turn this question around and ask whether it's even possible to do anything without some open source projects / components. If nothing else, image loading libraries tend to be open source, and/or depend on open source components themselves (like zlib).

12. Pogacha

Original Member

• The Gimp
    • InkScape
    • Audacity
    • Firefox
    • Filezilla
    • Mozilla Thunderbird
    • OggVorbis
    • Pnglib
    • Libjpg
    • zlib

13. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

Java Stuff:
    JMonkeyEngine
    LWJGL
    NetBeans

C++ Stuff:
    Ogre3D
    OpenAL
    MinGW

Artistic Stuff:
    GIMP
    Blender

TextEditor:
    notepad++

Office Stuff:
    Open Office
    FireFox
    ThunderBird

yes... i'm cheap :D

14. Bobuido

Bobuido New Member

Open source needs restrictions otherwise it'd be abused. I'm no expert in licensing , just a fan of the general methodology. What exactly bothers you? The fact that big companies like M$ claim they have rights and go round threatening to sue people? This life is all about risks. Whatever you do there will be a risk attached. By all means assess them but don't go round scaring people without some solid information to back it up.

Don't buy into the FUD that big corps like M$ spread. Open source is good for everyone. People call me a communist and I let them, because in this instance communism works just great. I don't think every project in the world should be open source. Different circumstances require different approaches.

Funny you should mention Drupal elias. I'm actually building / maintaining four sites with that framework and I think it's frickin' awesome. Like a hot-dog? More like ten billion hot-dogs! 4th site went live a couple of days ago. The client is really chuffed and I'm definitely not worrying about risks :)

I'm not entirely clear what you were getting at Mattias. If you'd like to try and explain further I'm all ears. I like to think I'm as open as the software I use...though I'm probably not. Thanks to everyone who had something to say. If your projects aren't in your sigs feel free to PM me the links.

15. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Just a quickie, there isn't actually a company called M$

All we use is the open-source zip stuff, though that's been unmutilated so it looks like real source and not just a pre-processor directives demo.

Which is why I generally hate open-source. I have no interest in wading through the 9-bit cpu version of SDL for Java on a VAX when there's a small bug in my xbox loader.

16. Bobuido

Bobuido New Member

I'm sorry you feel that way

I find it very very useful. Not for games as my knowledge and experience is pretty limited there, as you probably can tell.

I forget the real name for M$...what was it now...

Monoposoft?

Lobbysoft?

Bullysoft?

FUDsoft?

I forgot...you'll have to remind me :)

17. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

Hey Bobuido, where did you read any microsoft stuff into what I said?

My point is this: it is rather small-minded to release things with, for example, a GPL license, basically saying "here, have this for free, but if you use it for anything good I want it back!".

If you want to be a nice guy and share, then be a nice guy and do just that, give things to people to use however they want. I'm all for making source code public domain, but I personally would never release anything under GPL. Which means I'd rather not use anything GPLd either.

And if someone takes my code and makes a fortune from it? Good on them and well done.

18. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

I avoid open-source because quite a few times I've been bitten by open-source projects that are glaringly incomplete, buggy unless used exactly like the example code.

[rant]
    I've seen more than one project (open-source and closed-source) that I can only describe as computer science masturbation. The programmer is proving to the world their immense intelligence by using everything they know to complete simple tasks.
    [/rant]

I do use some open-source projects like wxWidgets, zlib, an open-source png library and a few others that are stable, have an active community and are feature complete. I'm very picky when it comes to open-source.

19. Bobuido

Bobuido New Member

Mattius

The M$ stuff was because you sound exactly like them sowing FUD into the forum!

That's pretty...generous of you. Letting people_directly_coin in on your hard work. Making free tools for all is one thing but letting people do whatever they like with your code is completely different. How are you with PHP and Javascript? If you want to code for nothing and be generally abused, then step right up and be my 1st employee!

Let me get this right

So you'd be happy to spend a lot of time coding something great and then have a company walk up, add some bits, close the source and then make huge amounts of money from it? If you put no restrictions on your software, wouldn't that happen? I think it's more than fair that additions to OS projects are returned to the project.

Your methodology isn't akin to communism...that's...err... crazy...ism?

I find Ubuntu, GIMP and Drupal (to name a few) extremely useful. I'm extremely grateful to the communities that have built them and I'll probably shout OS propaganda till I die :)

Nikos - Love the rant - PMSL

I've managed to find lots of what I'd consider to be complete projects. I agree there is a lot of unfinished stuff but if the world never used it then it wouldn't get finished would it? Plus what bit of software is ever really finished. Still love that rant though :)

20. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

Stop putting words in my mouth bub :cool:

If I give something away for free (which I do), I give it away for free. No strings.

If it is something I think I could make a lot of money from, I keep it to myself. It's my right, after all, I created it.

I didn't say people should give all their code away or work for free, now did I? :D