New to game development, dreaming big

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Mekali Amayas Kaga, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Mekali Amayas Kaga

Mekali Amayas Kaga New Member

I've been lurking around the forums for a while to try and find out as much as I can before I actually posted something. Now I figure it's a good time to actually post something (even though I'm typing this at 1:20 AM).

So I've been playing around with the idea of a new game, specifically a bus driving simulator. Out of the ones that have been released so far, most of them are based in Europe. Nothing against them, I've played some of them and they're great (OMSI 2, Bus Simulator 2012 to name a couple). One thing is that there aren't too many american based bus driving simulators out there. There's Bus & Cable Car Simulator: San Francisco (I have this one) and City Bus Simulator: 2010; those are the only two I know of that exist.

What I want to do is create a new bus driving simulator all together one that was American-based, using both fictional and real cities (such as Pittsburgh). It would be as realistic as possible, down to the simplest functions that go into operating a bus properly and the challenges that go along with it. The one major milestone I want to achieve is how big I can make it in terms of map-size. I'm aiming for something sizable like Skyrim, Morrowind, or San Andreas (GTA V), maybe bigger than those combined, with plenty to discover and drive around to different areas of the open world.

One feature that I don't see widely used is the capability to play online with other people and that is definitely something that I want implemented. Players would have the capability to share the routes they created with one another, compete with one another in time trials and races (yes, bus races) to see who can do a route the fastest, and show off their skills to become the best bus driver in existence.

I'm still getting all of my ideas out and organizing them on paper for the time being. I'm learning how to use Unity and I have limited knowledge of Java and C#, both of which I'm slowly learning. I don't plan on doing this entire thing myself (that would be mental suicide) and I will seek out to likely build a team in the future. For now, I'm mostly just introducing myself and getting some feedback on this idea I have while I continue to gather my thoughts on paper.

2. MVP

MVP New Member

Seems neat. Would definitely work if its made to be so called "youtube bait" as well like farming simulator.

One thing though, before you start work on the core features, definitely get a sense of exactly how the AI works as the biggest problem with a lot of simulators is the lack of interaction and unpredictability all the AI has, making the sim feel weak and less engaging than driving a bus around GTA.

Building core features around an incredibly robust AI would allow the AI to create most of the "content" procedurally if done right.

For instance, even passenger AI, bad drivers, old people, rowdy passengers etc could add a lot to the difficulty of the game and break up monotony.

If desired, the most interesting setting for me in a bus simulation would DEFINITELY be airport busses, those guys are ****ing insane, especially in Asia

But yea, long story short, most problems simulations have is monotony due to predictable AI and all the time spent on how things feel and realism instead of the game part which is kinda the point, but you can definitely alleviate this with good AI and wouldn't require you to break up monotony with more maps, saving you money and time

Oh, and make sure you have a good plan for general gameplay. Many busses around tourism areas will offer baggage storage under the bus "in my experience" so the player would get out of the bus, load everything, get back in, communicate with ai or players to get around traffic, accidents etc.

All in all, simulations with great pace like farming simulator, truck simulators, have done extremely well. Your idea involves a team though, especially if you are planning on multiplayer. Maybe try pitching a solid idea thats completely fleshed out with a hella lot of diagrams and get some dedicated support for it? Good luck!^^

#2 MVP, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Mekali Amayas Kaga

I had a similar idea about that in mind. I figured that maybe I should look to integrate different types of AI drivers on the road; young, old, experienced, new, enraged; different drivers on the road that can affect your performance as a driver. As far as the passengers, I thought of it like certain types of passengers would have certain preferences when it comes to operating the bus such as speed, handling, safety, timing, etc. There's much swirling around in my head about this; getting it all out and organized on paper is the hard part.

That was also another idea I had as far as bus types. Around where I live, Port Authority of Allegheny County had about 40 Neoplan AN345 Metroliner buses; they were essentially coach buses and had luggage compartments underneath the bus and over the passengers, but they're retired now. They also had 25 Neoplan AN460s with the same configuration, but there were no luggage compartments underneath the bus; also retired. I miss the AN460s, they were awesome to ride on. I'm gonna have at least 1 or 2 buses like that.

Oh, there's no doubt I'm going to have to put together a team for this. What I hope to have done in the meantime is like you said, have all the of the diagrams and ideas n'at all sorted out before going forward.

4. 3ph0r

I like this idea. definitely need a team with quite a few programmers and environmental artists. the main issue i can see with this is the map size. you will have to be careful with optimization.
    as for the vehicles, there are enough vehicle physics / code out there.

if you need a world builder in the future i would be happy to help.

ill be following this to see how this goes :p

5. Mekali Amayas Kaga

Thanks for the offer; I'll probably pitch the idea here on the forums towards the end of the month since there's a lot I have to initially get done first. Once that's done, I'll look to putting together a full team for this game and probably a Kickstarter as well.