New Indie Game Review Site, Digital Entanglement

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Digital Entanglement, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Digital Entanglement

Hey there, much like an indie dev operation, I'm a small company doing professional game reviews. We have just a few up now, but over a dozen reviews in the works. Since a lot of indie games are hard to give a fair number, we go on the simple basis of "Buy It", "Try It", "Forget It".

The games are judged on:

• First impressions: since most indie games are not standard
    • Ease of use: interface & aesthetics
    • Playability/Difficulty: how fair your game is, mastery of skills, etc.
    • Replayability: If your game has extensive replay value
    If you'd like your game reviewed, or if you have any questions about the process, let me know through a PM and we'll set up a time to talk or I can give you a quick reply.

Edit: For right now we're only doing PC/Mac and console games. We've decided the mobile market is too large in itself, too broad as to what device it will work with and requires another department if we are to cover them.

Thanks!

#1 Digital Entanglement, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. princec

Indie Author

Hi, why bother judging first impressions? That's what everyone can determine for themselves easily. How about concentrating on entertainment and value beyond the demo? Getting to this stage is traditionally the hard part for developers and gamers alike.

Cas :)

3. Digital Entanglement

The reason I address first impressions is because some games have misleading first impressions. Some of them will play great the first time you jump in, but quickly drop in quality thereafter. Similary, other games have awful first impressions, but are later improved through further gameplay that grows on you. The first impression is what will sometimes make or break a game, so I like to give readers the idea of what to expect in case it's not representative of the rest of the game.

4. princec

Indie Author

Er, didn't you just completely contradict yourself and agree with me there?

5. Digital Entanglement

I should have said, allows a reader to compare and contrast what a first impression is like, in accordance with the rest of the review :p

It's an effort to not mislead the player if the starting is horrible, or awesome, but unrepresentative of the rest of the game. Some first impressions are only minutes into the game, others are hours, which is also something I'd like to let them know. However, I will consider renaming the opening title ;)

6. pjeigh

pjeigh New Member

Do you have much (professional) experience writing reviews?

7. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well I'll put myself forward for a review, interview, whatever. :)

8. Digital Entanglement

Define experience, we've been gamers, some of us writers for over a decade (all 'older' gamers).

At the beginning of this venture we were literally newbies to everything from contacting publishers to writing reviews (although some people had written game reviews before). Less than a month later we have some pretty decent contacts and between a half dozen to a dozen articles written each. Going pretty well I think. What's up at gamertell/indiepub?

#8 Digital Entanglement, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. pjeigh

pjeigh New Member

"Experience" as in paid and/or published works, history of writing reviews (esp. indie reviews)?

I'm also a bit skeptical - as are many others - about new "review" sites as so many by inexperienced gamers pop up (often to get free games) and quickly fade away when they realize how much work and skill it takes for slow return.

10. Digital Entanglement

I understand, I won't try to puff up my credentials beyond what they are and will admit the venture is new to me. However I can in multiple ways prove I'm not an inexperienced gamer, my "ye olde' age", the amount of work I've put in so far and my current professional career path outside of this review venture (full time employed programmer, not freelance). The reason I started up the review site is most certainly not to get free games, my current job affords me that opportunity without a problem (my wife also works).

I decided earlier this year to try and take my developer talents and put them to use in a different direction. I've tried making games myself but I get bogged down in the details, it never gets released...you know the story. This experience however has taken off quite well to whatever level of detail I want to put into it. I actually have two hired authors right now, that's not including myself, not volunteers (although I wouldn't knock it if the quality was high enough). My end goal is farther beyond game reviews as well, but that's another story and within my private business plan, suffice it to say, it's to help indie developers by the most direct means.

Edit: I just checked your age, you have me beat by a decade, but my VW bus beats you by a year.

[​IMG]

11. princec

Indie Author

Everybody has to start somewhere. Go for it. And feel free to ask for review registrations.

12. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I agree, not sure why he's getting so much grief tbh.

EDIT: Though he does deserve some for having such shonky wheels... :)

13. Musenik

Original Member

Dude, the microbus is a class act, no matter how many parts have rusted off the thing.

14. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Nice wheels! I have a '72 Super, but don't get it out of the garage much

15. pjeigh

pjeigh New Member

I was more curious that trying to be argumentative. I'm certainly not against new sites. With your dev background you have a different take, which might be good.

Do be careful using some type of outline for reviews, though. Then you pigeonhole yourself into criteria that may not fit every game (which is more often true for indies). Also, having set-in-stone rating segments is often the sign of a novice writer (in case you do try to write elsewhere).