New Gratuitous Space Battles Video

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by cliffski, Aug 16, 2009.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

2. Xiotex

Original Member

Excellent - nice use of shaders!

3. zoombapup

Looks good cliff. Cant really think of much to improve. One thing that struck me though was having a ship that actually deliberately split up (imagine spokes on a wheel where the elements of the spokes break up and act independantly).

Other than that, looks pretty bloody good.

I guess one effect you might want to do, is the old babylon 5 lazer cutting effect, where the beam hits a surface and does a decal based lazer cutting trail where it intersects. Like a blowtorch cutting metal.

It also feels like too many of the ships are fairly curvy. You should have some blocky looking ships in there too. Oh and organic ships could be good if you're using shaders (add some perlin noise animated on the ships hull).

4. twobitart

twobitart New Member

gratuitousness is a very sexy thing.

5. defanual

Original Member

Yep, looking nicer every time!:) The only thing that jumps at me is the circle of white flash lighting things, not aesthetically but I can't work out what they indicate in terms of whether it's because of a hit to a craft or some other event, but that might be just me anyway. :confused:

6. Jyaif

Jyaif New Member

What shaders is Xiotex talking about?

7. Game Producer

Dunno, but looks awesome!

8. UnknownGuy

Original Member

Looking very nice! The death of the first big ship in the video was really awesome, looking cool. :D

9. Xiotex

Original Member

The blurring of the render-target on explosions. Unless I am imagining it :)

10. cliffski

I use shaders to do a motion blur when there is camera shake, to blend the shield impact effect together, and to fade out the contrast on ship hulls as they get smaller. Other than that, it's all old-school stuff.
    Doing a laser-cutting effect is on my wish list, maybe a post-release thingy...

11. Xiotex

Original Member

It looks really good - well done!

Cant wait to get my paws on a Beta *HINT*

Did I mention *HINT*?

12. Xiotex

Original Member

So, Just got the beta from Cliff.

I've only had a quick battle because I am at work at the moment but if you think the videos look good then you are going to be amazed by the real thing.

It loads really fast and is very smooth. The screen is just full of what it promises - gratuitous space battles and it's as smooth as, well, a smooth thing.

can't wait for lunch when I can get into it properly.

Thanks Cliff!

13. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

Looks very cool, excited for the release.

FYI - at first I thought "Gratuitous" was a just a reference to the action in the game play and not the game's title. Just wondering how you came up with the title for the game from a marketing stand point.

14. cliffski

I just thought it was an accurate, honest and slighty silly name for a game, which appeals to me. Also people know what sort of a game it is, and what its about immediately.
    That has to be good!

15. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

How did you do the lasers cliffski? Is there some kind of line drawing thingy?

16. JGOware

Indie Author

Lazers: Create a horizontally laid out lazer sprite. Doesn't have to be that wide. Realtime scale x as needed for the length, realtime rotate as needed for the angle. That's how I do it at least. ;)

17. cliffski

Theres a ton of overlapping bits and bobs that go together to make a single laser beam. Its surprisingly involved :D

18. vjvj

Indie Author

Looks awesome Man, keep up the good work!

I'm also looking into doing a laser-cutting effect sometime in the near-ish future... If you do get around to doing it, I'd love to see a vid of the effect in a future graphics test video :D

19. buto

Original Member

Wow! It looks great!
    The only thing that irritated me in the beginning were the two black moons in the background. There contrast to the background was so high, that i thought they were foreground objects.
    Nevertheless I'm totally impressed! It's so smooth!

regards,
    Sebastian

20. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

I'm absolutely not into space battles and still this release of the video caught my attention, the design of some spaceships is really extraordinary (the net like hull and colorful core), I think you have converted me to a new type of games!