Need Motivation (plus screenshot of my WIP game)

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by bantamcitygames, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Yeah crunch time will do that, I've heard statistics that reckon it takes 2 or 3 days to recover from one day of crunch time.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes, keeps us all motivated!

I managed to get about 4 hours to work on stuff last night because the missus was late back from her parents with the kids, it was bliss got loads done :D
    So I think you've got a good idea there.

2. electronicStar

Original Member

I don't think there is any other way other than 'release early and iterate' with multiplayer games.
    You can't just devellop the game on your own and release it on the population like that. He needs to get testers and to garner sufficient interest even before the first release, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

3. Nexic

Indie Author

There are downsides to that approach though. You totally lose out on any release buzz, since your game will probably be too basic at first release to garner many positive reviews and chances are nobody will be very interested in talking about it 1 year after the initial release. You'll find yourself locked in to working on that one game for years since it's much harder to add large features to an existing popular game than it is to one that's still in development. Players also hate change, even really good features will get complained about just because it's made the game different.

I personally am unlikely to take that approach again since I now have the funds & man hours available to make my online games feature complete from the start. That way I get the full benefit of the early buzz, and will be more free to work on something else a year or so after that initial launch (working on the same thing for 4-5 years is really not fun). Finding testers for a closed beta isn't hard since you only need a couple of 100 people at most. A press release or two and a small ad spend should cover that.

Still having said all that, if you're short on time & money and you're still unsure if there is even a market for your game, focusing on just getting the bare bones version out is still a good move IMO.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Iain, glad to hear that tip worked for you! I'm planning to ease into things tonight and work on something I know I can complete in my 4-5 hour session.

Nexic, you (and DF) were actually my inspiration for this development model :) I just hope my slow crawl will work out in the end. I am definitely working towards a bare-bones version. I've cut so many features at this point that it will barely even be considered a game when I release the initial beta lol

5. bantamcitygames

So I started development last night and every time I left click my mouse it double-clicks (or triple-clicks)... So in an hours time I accomplished very little except ordering a new mouse on Amazon and then my 4-5 hour task turned into a 7 hour task, but all-in-all it felt good to get back into it again. I'm already itching for my next session!

Thanks again guys... will keep you all posted of the game's progress!

6. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hope you didn't have "one-click ordering" turned on. Might end up with 3!

7. bantamcitygames

Lol! No, my wife has the 1-click ordering turned on though and when using her computer I've already 'ordered' 3 things by accident and had to go in and cancel my order before it shipped.