Need help with level designing.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Ty Frendo, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ty Frendo

Ty Frendo
    Expand Collapse

Hey, I'm an inexperienced guy that is still new to the development world, I'm alright with coding but my designing skills are lacking... a lot, I mean just look at this

[​IMG]

I know it's not the prettiest thing in the world but that is about how much I can do, so I need suggestions, tips and maybe some advice that could help me make it a little bit better.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Malkiqt

Malkiqt
    Expand Collapse

If you can code,you can just start creating games with wack graffics just so you can get experience in game dev,and eventually you'll find a graphical designer to help you with your projects,and if your into smaller games(with less objects) you can hire a freelancer or buy some assets.

noahbwilson likes this.
  3. noahbwilson

noahbwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Pretty is attractive (duh), but not required. As Malkiqt said, just start creating games. Practice makes perfect.

Some suggestions.
    - I like your 101010101 text better than your HIGH SCORE text. HIGH SCORE is hard to read.
    - If you're not publishing to the world, steal graphics. Don't use stolen art in your final product, but if you're just trying to get the hang of things, steal! Google search for .pngs with a transparent/alpha layer.
    - If you're talking actual LEVEL DESIGN (and not appearance), try and force your users to double-back. If you can code things like keys or switches, this will help. Use your platforms more than once in different ways.

It is hard to tell exactly what your game is beyond a 2D platformer based on the still image. Can you post a video?

4. Ty Frendo

Ty Frendo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the suggestions, you may be right Malkiqt I shouldn't worry too much about the graphics right now but I think making it a bit better may help I'm not trying to make some insane art just adding a bit of detail.

I like the idea of adding switches and keys, and I'm probably capable of that since I had to deal with much harder things, and here is a short video of what I have right now.

It doesn't look like a lot but I had to delete some things in order to implement some new mechanics to the game trying to make it a bit more unique.

5. noahbwilson

noahbwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

1) Your game has a sweet theme already. I wouldn't freak out about graphics.
    2) Your animations are very fluid and clean. Props.
    3) The jump seems very slow... as if he is underwater. Is this on purpose?
    4) His run cycle seems too slow for the speed at which he is running... I think. He didn't run too much, so it was hard to tell.
    5) When he lands on the moving platform... does he move with it? It was super quick and hard to tell.

I say you got a solid game on your hands. I would try adding more 'bells and whistles'. Here's a list of stuff I use in most of my platforms.
    - Effects when he is hit. I call a 'hit spark'.
    - Keys and switches (as mentioned before).
    - Conveyor belts
    - Moveable boxes
    - Spikes
    - Number Pads (the player has to hit numbered pads 1-5 to open the exit door. If they do them out of order, it resets)
    - 10 Coins (the player has to find 10 specially colored/sized coins to open the exit door.)

I think once you add more THINGS, you will find level design to be a bit easier. Get yourself some graph paper and design them in pencil first.

6. Ty Frendo

Ty Frendo
    Expand Collapse

1)Thanks, I couldn't just wait for someone to do them for me so I tried making them myself.
    2)Thanks again, it was really hard to set them up, especially since it was a sprite before but I suck at making sprites.
    3)Do you mean when he falls down? Because the jump doesn't look slow to me.
    4)I increased it, now it looks a bit more natural.
    5)Yes he does.

-He dies after one hit, but as you can see in the video changed to green when the projectile was near him, that is an ability with the Auto upgrade but it still needs some tweaking. I could add it to the projectile when it is destroyed.
    -I will add those but not in those levels, those levels colored in green are supposed to be fast to beat, but another type of level I'm intending to add will probably have them.
    -Like the one in Pokemon where if you step on them they move to a certain place and you can't move manually on them?
    -I can see that you are into puzzle games, that is a good idea but I feel like it's gonna be a bit too hard to code.
    -Already have them, the 10101010 text is binary for Destroy.
    -I may use that for them to open some levels, I can already feel the people hating on the game for that lol.
    -This is another good idea.

I actually was referring on the appearance of the game, but I did need some new ideas to implement into the game. Thanks alot!

7. noahbwilson

noahbwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Well, even if it a 2D platformer, levels should be at least some form of a puzzle. Maybe not a hardcore puzzle, but when you pick 'platformer' as your game style, you then should consider: is it "action" like Contra/Metal Slug, "jumping/exploring" like Mario, or "puzzle" like Hyper Load Runner? It can be all of these things if you want it to be. I feel like it is somewhat of a puzzle game based on the video because you are trying to find the safe path to dodge all the machines. I could be wrong

Oh ok. When I think "level design", I think "what blocks go where". Like the actual architecture of the level itself.

Your style is fine. You're on the right path for sure. Now ... bells and whistles! :D

8. Shrestha Tripathi

Shrestha Tripathi
    Expand Collapse

Our developer & designers at Brainmobi would like to undertake the task. Get in touch with [us](https//:www.brainmobi.com) for all game development queries.