Need help in story aspect of text-based game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Jayoshome, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Jayoshome

Jayoshome New Member

Hello, name's jayoshome, and am a newbie developer that has just started making a text-based game such as that of Lifeline on iOS (the very game that sparked me into making a game actually) and am having trouble with the story so anyone who would like to help out or suggest ideas surrounding the plot of the game is very welcomed. Any other game aspect advices are cool too.

2. woahitsjc

woahitsjc New Member

Hello Jayoshome!

I'm also a newbie developer so I'll try my best to give you input on what I think will help you for your game.

Since you have a game that you can reference to, try and see what makes it so interesting about that game and what audience it attracts to. Know what the main goal of that game is and what is the main goal of your game. If you can't find one yet, try getting the ideas you have already thought and play around with the idea and see how you can develop a strong plot.

Once you have established a target audience and the main goal, you can then find each solutions to individual problems. For example, does this specific idea fit into my main goal of the game? Is it relevant to the theme, mechanics and story of your game. It is always about trial and error when deciding whether the idea you just came up with is good or not. But you have to give proper analytical questions and asking why is it this way instead of a straightforward answer of a yes or a no.

So this is just my approach of what you can think of when creating ideas and making it concrete. Take it with a grain of salt because I am very much a beginner and still learning a lot on the way.

Here's a book that I'm currently reading, it has helped me a ton with game design!

Hope this helps!
    Justin