Most Hated Game Feature(s)

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by khaosifix, Apr 22, 2007.

1. khaosifix

khaosifix New Member

In this thread, post the features of games you've played that made you annoyed/angry and caused you to question why the developers decided to put it in there in the first place. Feel free to use the little template I posted below.

Game:
    Feature:
    Comment:

Game: Suikoden I, II, IV, V, Chrono Cross, and Chrono Trigger
    Feature: Mute protagonist
    Comment: Why? In the first two Suikodens it didn't bother me much because everything was text. Same with Chrono Cross except for the one-sided conversations that just seem beyond retarded to watch. The later Suikodens had voice-acting which made it even worse to have a mute protagonist. Many other RPGs have this also.

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I hate the matching in Tetris.

Sometimes the mute feature is nice. When a character has an annoying voice. Enchanted Arms, Strangers Wrath, ... I wish those had protagonist mutes.

3. Garthy

Indie Author

Game: Any.
    Feature: Dialog that says "you must run as Admin" and then exits the game.
    Comment: Arghh!! Why do people do this? It's bad enough that some games require you to give complete control of your system over to them. It's even worse when they realise it, and then rather than fix the problem they just pop up a dialog saying you must run it as admin. I realise the main reason for this is that the game wishes to mess with your system in severe ways as a copy-prevention mechanism... but perhaps I just want to play the game I legally purchased instead?

Game: Any (HOMM3, Doom, etc)
    Feature: Level-based games where flow-on effects make the following levels impossible to win.
    Comment: A personal pet peeve. Some games allow transfer of resources from a previous level to a later one. There's nothing wrong with this per se, but it does become a problem when you complete a level, get access to the next one, and it is quite impossible to win with the resources you brought in from the previous level. Even worse is when you discover that you are going to have to go back X levels (for a large X) to replay all those levels again because you are missing something that was really needed back then. Worse is when there was no indication previously that you had to get it. It also means that one is often forced to spend as long as possible gathering resources from previous levels (which is often slow and boring) just in case. You also have to watch every shot and purchase, because you might need it in a later level. It also means saving and reloading over and over again, just to make sure you got the resource usage on the level down as low as possible. It generally also means starting the whole game again once you're partway into it, because there is no way you did the early levels efficiently enough while you were still learning. This sort of thing just isn't fun. There are ways to manage flow-on cleverly, but some games are just too reliant on it.

4. radishan

Original Member

*This isn't a gameplay feature, but I think it applies well in this case.

Bad UI

If the game is mouse controlled let the user select menu options with the mouse, same goes for the keyboard. I say always let both the keyboard and mouse control menu options?

5. Nexic

Indie Author

I remember playing DragonLore and having to restart about 10 times because I kept missing things that literally stopped you from progressing. For example you needed to get a magic acorn in the forest at the start. If you missed it then you would get stuck about 2/3 of the way through the game and have to start again. In extreme cases like this I agree, it's a terrible thing.

But in general, I feel these mechanics improve a game as long as it never becomes totally impossible. It adds depth and another level of strategy.

Ever play Resident Evil 1 with Chris? You will probably want to commit suicide after playing.

#5 Nexic, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  6. Bad Sector

Original Member

Doom-freak-speak-mode on: this is not something you'll see in Doom. Sure, it might be easier to finish the level if you grab every little thing, but the game was designed in such a way that (given enough patience and skill) you'll be able to defeat each level no matter the weapons (because it was giving you the weapons in early positions - btw remember that in Doom each time you got killed, the level restarted with you carrying a simple pistol).

7. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Game: any
    Feature: any
    Comment: a matter of taste

8. Garthy

Indie Author

Yep, that's pretty-much the case I was getting at. :)

Done right, I agree, it works well. I haven't seen it done right very often though. You need some mix where you retain the benefits from a well-played level in future levels without adversely punishing you if you don't do quite as well. Additionally, if there's no benefit to completing a level faster, you run into the situation where you really need to spend as long as possible doing boring tasks for small benefits before moving on to the next level (eg. mopping up in HOMM3 before completing a level).

Hitman did alright in this area (I think- it's been a while). You never really played to conserve every last shot as the benefit to a job-well-done was much greater that the savings for conserving guns and ammo. As such, amount of ammo used was never really a major concern, beyond alerting other foes.

Can't say I've tried it. :}

I will bow to your superior knowledge of the series as I never fully got into it for the reasons I mentioned. ;) In at least one of the games in the Doom/Quake series (I believe) it was worth conserving ammo for later levels and playing and replaying each area to minimise ammo use. Seems to me in a shooter like this half the fun would be running around blazing madly.

9. Pyabo

Original Member

Game: Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake 2, Doom 3, etc, etc, etc
    Feature: Monsters waiting for you to pick up that item

This feature got old in the original Doom... but id seems to insist on adding it to every game. You know the one... Look at that nice shiney armor just sitting right there in the middle of the room! I wonder why it's there... I'm sure it would be OK if I just grabbed it... WHIIIRRRR CLUNK. ROOOAAAAR. Oh gee, there was a secret door right there loaded with monsters just waiting for me to come by.

I always wonder... how long have those monster been there? Do they get hungry? Why were they so quiet before the door opened? It looks cramped in there. Who designed this space station with secret doors? Seems an odd choice.

I stopped playing Doom 3 about 5 minutes into it after seeing the first instance there. :rolleyes:

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I guess this is more of a case of missing feature, but basically in many RPGs you can just wander into someones house and steal their stuff right in front of them and they don't care. I actually used to feel guilty about this but then I thought "Hey, I'm a hero and I'm gonna save their lives and their town so if their life savings can buy me the one potion that keeps me alive when fighting the evil X then fair enough, they'll be grateful in the end... " ;-)

11. bignobody

Indie Author

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bud. They were saving that money for the same potion to give to their poor, crippled little Timmy. Now there's no hope for him. I hope you're proud of yourself, "hero".

Personally, I hate game demos that have no time limits and have enough levels to keep people interested, so they don't have to buy the full version for only $9.99... What was he thinking?

12. LilGames

LilGames New Member

Game: Any
    Feature: No Objectives/Tasks/Mission reminders
    Example: Worst feature would be when there is no information about your current objective.

ie: Character X told you that you need to go talk to Character Y and fetch Object A. But I decided I had enough for the night and saved the game. Two weeks go by, I load the game and don't know what to do. The map shows nothing, talking to Character X does not repeat my tasks again. What do I do?!

It's especially worse when the game has huge expansive levels and allows you to backtrack all over them trying to find that one little thing you missed.

#12 LilGames, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  13. rockford

rockford New Member

Game: Platform games, especially Mario
    Feature: Jump...
    Comment: I hate miss jumps, so I hate jump... I love Mario, but I'm so bad because I never land when I want to land !

14. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

Game : Point & Click Adventure Games
    Feature : Pixel Hunting.
    Comment : I really HATE Pixel Hunting! I just wish to play Adventure game, NOT to find some minor little small pixels from the wide game background! Fortunately, I didn't play lots of them, which are infamous for heavy Pixel Hunting. Anyway sometimes I experience it until now, and my worst nightmare was [Crimson Room] & followers. I can endure finding some objects in a small room, even if I don't know WHY I'm captured. But I can't endure to find such a tiny pixel!

#14 mrkwang, Apr 23, 2007
  15. Artinum

Original Member

Game : Many.
    Feature : Online manuals.
    Comment : I mean really - I play games on a standalone laptop, which makes online manuals utterly useless. Even if I'm on a desktop machine, if I'm playing a game and want to look at the Help I then get taken out of the game (a few of which don't come back afterwards) and have to connect to the internet. And even then, what if the site's down? What if I play the game three years later when the URL has changed and/or disappeared completely? Offline manuals are a little better - at least you have one on file to consult.

Phew. Rant over.

16. electronicStar

Original Member

Yeah I hate that too,especially some games where you HAVE to do it if you want to be powerful/rich enough to continue the adventure.

two more:

Game: casual and 2D games
    Feature: I hate it in platform games when you have something to do or to collect but it's not really useful to anything. For example Sonic 1 you can collect little rings but they aren't necessary to finish the level, you can speed and try to beat speed records but it doesn't really reward you.Only thing that changes is the score.I hate that because these tasks aren't particularly fun and if you remove them the game is rather simple. There are a couple of other platform and casual games with the same "problem" , it's like if the devellopers had added the feature after noticing the game was a too empty to play.
    Now that I think about it I hate platformers where the goal is just to collect items through boring levels without even a definite theme .

Game: FPS, RPG, adventure, etc...
    Feature: Mazes without automap
    Comment: ...:mad:

#16 electronicStar, Apr 23, 2007
  17. Mikademus

Mikademus New Member

Save Points
    Simply generally a sign of poor design: why limit the player to saving his progress only at predetermined positions? God damn, just let me save bloody when I want, if you use save-restore to clear the game it is (1) the player's choice, and (2) a sign that *your game model* is flawed in the first place, and it can't be fixed by restricting saving to artificial "points".

Omniscient AI
    Yeah, sure, AI is a bitch to program, but I just loath the games where the AI has knowledge he shouldn't have, like the location of you, your base or whatever. Again, a sign of poor design.

18. Nexic

Indie Author

Nothing got old in Doom. Doom is perfect. All hail Doom.

19. khaosifix

khaosifix New Member

One thing I've noticed about a great number of modern games is that they borrow features from older games. Half of the features borrowed from older games are generally percieved as "poor game design" after being analyzed a great amount. An example of this is random battles which are unimaginably frustrating and goes against the purpose of what a game should be (they should be fun). It's debatable if prepositioned save points is another example of this. However, I do see the flaw of this (you can't stop playing until you've come acrossed the next save point; otherwise you'll lose data).

20. killarkai

Original Member

The more rings you collect, the more likely you will re-acquire some rings when you are hurt.

Also in one of the Sonics, you will only be able to enter secret zones if you collect enough rings.

I do feel great when I collected all rings in a level or beat a speed record in Sonic, am I the weird one here?