Minigames out of style?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Xxypher, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Xxypher

Xxypher New Member

Minigames are my favorite to make, they take hardly any time compared to trying to make a full game, and plus I don't get bored so quickly, but people seem to not like the minigame status as much as they used to.

2. JoshuaSmyth

Original Member

I think most web-based games are what you'd call mini-games? I don't think these have gone out of vogue at all.

3. Xxypher

Xxypher New Member

Well, the communities that I have spent most time at, like Reflect and 64Digits, minigame hits have dropped. These being not web based, but download based.

4. Spore Man

Indie Author

Be specific. Do you mean a collection of mini-games marketed as one package?

5. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

Nintendo seem to do very well out of the mini/party-game concept, though I've not seen anything recent in indie circles?

6. jaguard

jaguard New Member

What is Azada, if not the series of minigames built into one big game?

7. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

And its up to you to change that my friend! :D

8. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Theyre probably hitting Kongregate or somewhere instead.

Flash games = minigames really.

Why not just join the flash crowd?

9. Xxypher

Xxypher New Member

Because flash is boring as hell, and I don't want to have to go through buying something that expensive, then taking all that time to learn how to use it.

10. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I've been learning Flex, which, like Flash, is based on ActionScript, and it's actually surprising how much easier it is to develop web games in it than trying to make a Java applet or something. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve at first for using the built in components when you're someone who's used to doing everything from scratch in Java, but now that I've got the basics down, I'm progressing really fast.

Anyway, you can get a free trial of FlexBuilder for 30 days or 45 days or something, so why not give it a whirl? I was skeptical at first, but now I think it's worth the $250 and am planning on buying it when my trial expires next week.

11. ChrisP

Indie Author

...or you can code with your bare-bones text editor of choice, and compile with the free Flex SDK. No upfront cost except your time. :)

(I'm on Linux. I don't use IDEs much, so I don't miss them.)