MineCraft hits $250,000 per day

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HairyTroll, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

What do you mean... everybody (I MEAN EVERYBODY) knows english, also Portuguese and Italian are latin languages, so language is not that diferent.

Also we complain, because of the average income... and the number of jobs (outside the IT area) is rapidly decreasing, a normal person can be 1 to 2 years looking for a job, and if you're older than 35 forget most jobs out there...

Anyway.. this discussion was about minecraft rigth? :p

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

Portugal sounds almost like Greece with a difference that few people know good English :). Otherwise the expenses and income sound the same.

3. BigB

BigB New Member

I don't know what country you live in, but that's not Portugal for sure.
    Salarys are not as high as in Northern Europe, but they aren't as low as 500 euros., unless you are cleaning up the streets or making shoes in a factory.
    But well, this is about Minecraft, not about political discussions..

4. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

Actually you're rigth my mistake, I was thinking in 500€ for MINIMUM WAGE (actually is 475€) and wrote average salary, in my second reply I answered ans beign minimum wage. Average salary was 870€ in 2007, 750€ in 2009.

Also in IT jobs you could receive 2-3 times that easily...

5. BigB

BigB New Member

Do you have an online source for those values (average salaries ? ) I would love to check it.
    You need to put things into perspective, I'm living in the US for 2 years now, in California near San Francisco, and things are not looking pretty here either.
    Look at this., Teacher in a good school, making 3000/3100 dolares a month, doens't look that bad right ?
    Now, rent $1400 month, then take $400 for blue shield health care, now another $200 for day after school for the kid, that leaves you with $1000 for the month, now take gas for the car (around $100 a week), electricity, tv, phone (another $100), that leaves you with $800 for food.
    Assuming you not eating in Safeway (it's a kind of crap food), and you buy your stuff at Trader Joe's, you won't finish your month with much in the bank either).
    Then remember they don't get payed 12 months here, only 11 because school is closed in the summer, and they don't get either the 13th or the 14th month like us. Then there will be car insurance, and this and that..., you get the picture...

6. HairyTroll

Original Member

Those figures had better be after tax.

7. BigB

BigB New Member

Yeah, after tax offcourse :p

8. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

This thread is about Minecraft? :rolleyes:

9. Artinum

Original Member

It was, but then it got more interesting.

10. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

$1000 - (($100 for gas x 4) + $100 for bills (likely low) = $500 for food. Better put in a garden.

11. papillon

Indie Author

People tend to adjust their spending to the funds they have or had at one point and then think those are the necessities - those making $250K a year still insist they're barely scraping by, because they've classed all their monthly outgoings as "can't possibly go without". You just need to spend more time being dirt poor to give you a proper appreciation of the subject. :)

(... a car? in SF? but... Public transport! WALKING!)

12. BigB

BigB New Member

I said near SF :p, it's actually Oakland.
    $100 gas per month sorry, not per week.
    But yeah, Minecraft, this was just an example aimed at Spiegel.

13. Escapee

Original Member

Yeah, Many of our Malay folks here have this deep fear that the ethnic Chinese here will wipe out their culture & pride through total economic and political dominance. Their sense of insecurity can be felt with the following interview with our former Prime minister.
    http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/dr-m-explains-malay-political-dominance-over-chinese

The reason for protectionism (ie cars) is all similar to the above, our "slightly inferior" national car would easily get wiped out by the Japanese/Korean car if there is no hefty import duty imposed.

Other than the above "predicted" dillemma our society is facing. Our advantages are

1) Fixed tax rates for corporate/ltd (20%), individual -> progressive taxation up to 27/28%

2) Our currency is partially backed by Palm oil, an important global commodity :p

3) We are reasonably civilized as suggested by Zoom.

4) Our house price to income ratio is great

5) Our food choice and taste are simply superior. The food cost is highly affordable :D

6) We don't have severe natural disasters like earthquake, tsunami & volcano eruption.

7) Our unemployment rate is less than 5-6%. Riot and labor strike is a rare scene......

Oh, sorry for going off topic...

#113 Escapee, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  14. HairyTroll

Original Member

When I was in KL helping get Astro off the ground in 96/97, I remember Dr. M in the papers suggesting that everyone use one teaspoon of sugar instead of two in their tea, to save money.

15. Escapee

Original Member

16. barrygamer

Original Member

#116 barrygamer, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  17. Maupin

Original Member

Worst audio level difference problem I've ever heard in a non-amateur video. Wow.