Match 3-color Zoo Keeper NDS

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Olivier, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Olivier

Indie Author

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to swap animals while others fall in Zoo Keeper for the NDS? I don't have the game so I cant' check myself. Thanks!
    In the online version it's impossible.

Yes I could have posted that question somewhere else, but after all it's a matter of game design. :)

EDIT: Huh I just found a newer version of it where it is possible!

2. barrygamer

Original Member

I hate it in match3 games when you can't move pieces whilst others are falling! Much easier to code, no doubt :rolleyes: IIRC, Big Kahuna Reef in particular is a much better game due to this feature.

3. Olivier

Indie Author

I have yet to think of a way to implement such a feature!:eek:

What does everyone think about that? Are match-3s better with "swap while falling" enabled?

4. Michael Flad

Indie Author

It's not hard to implement but it makes a real difference. Just try playing both kinds - it feels really restricting without the option once you got used to swap while other objects are falling.

5. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I'm pretty sure Grey Alien's match 3's are known for that feature. And yes they are better with it. Anything that makes game play more fluid is a good thing.

6. Olivier

Indie Author

Yes you're right guys, thanks for your input. I've also read Grey Alien's thread about his match-3s. Was an interesting read.

But please don't say it's easy to implement, everyone isn't a talented coder. :) I've already had a hard time developing my first attempt. For the moment I can't even figure out the conceptual pseudo-code-flow. bleh. :eek:

7. Fost

Indie Author

Re NDS Zoo Keeper: No, you can't. It happens so fast anyway, that even if you could swap them, it would be a pretty much useless feature.

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

OK making matches whilst other gems are falling was *not* easy to implement ;-) At least not for me. There are tons of stuff that can go wrong that needs to be carefully tested especially when you have bonus items, locked pieces and gravity on the shapes (like I have). But it makes the game so much better, I hate match-3s without the option.

#8 Grey Alien, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  9. Michael Flad

Indie Author

In the end it's just a question of whether the two swapping objects are "idle" or doing anything else so they can't be swapped. I've sent Oliver code of an prototype I wrote - the whole core mechanic is really only a few hundret lines of code - not even optimized code.

Obviously not a complete game, but once you have the core running adding additional features is easy. Are match 3 games still profitable? They aren't as popular on Real as they used to (that's at least my impression of the games the portals offer these days).

10. jankoM

Indie Author

Funny... none of the BFG top 10 is match-3... however most of them are of "serving" type I think.

11. Olivier

Indie Author

Thank you Fost for letting me know about Zoo Keepr NDS.

Grey Alien I agree with you. At the moment I'm trying to think at all the different stuff that could happen when the player is able to swap pieces while others fall and... headache. :)

Yeah match-3s don't seem to be as popular as they used to be. I don't mind. I'm an indie and I do what I want. :D

12. Bmc

Bmc New Member

Ouba is a match 3, it's a Tetris Attack clone

13. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Yes! swap while falling. Don't make the player wait. Swap any time all the time especialy while other pieces are falling.

That's what I would do if I ever made a match 3 game. :)

14. electronicStar

Original Member

"Swap while falling" should be mandatory, especially when there is a time limit.
    There's nothing more frustrating than knowing what's the next move, but losing because you are stuck in a combo-chain of exploding tiles and you can do nothing while precious seconds are passing.

15. Olivier

Indie Author

"Swap while falling" seems so obvious now. Thanks a lot for everyone's advice.

16. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Zookeeper DS is way better than the flash version. The anwser to your question is YES and No. In ZK DS you can swap whille other pieces are falling only if you can. Meanings: if you try to swap something that will change at the end of the fall, then the swap is not possible. If you swap something in a different location witch doesn't interact with the fall, then it works.

In Smileys www.ovogame.com I had this problem too. I couldn't bother allowing the swap during fall but I did make this problem less significant by making sure that new Smileys will not create chains. Meaning, the game can have chains but only if you have created them. The computer will not create chains randomly. Without this feature, you could wait a long time because of all the randoms chains. The fact that you coundn't swap was very obvious and annoying. By adding this feature and making the fall very quick, this problems almost diseappear.

JC

17. Olivier

Indie Author

Hehe yes a different approach to the problem. Making the fall fast enough, that's a good idea. Thanks! :)

18. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Maybe swap while falling isn't so important after all. Jewel Quest 2 doesn't seem to have it. :confused:

19. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Jewel Quest 2? I missed that one but then some research tells me that it's for mobile devices only. Perhaps you can't play it fast enough for swap whilst falling to matter?

20. Bmc

Bmc New Member

Download version is being released Feb 7