Manual Format

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by DanMarshall, Mar 22, 2006.

1. DanMarshall

Original Member

Any advice on what format my Instruction Manual should ship in? At the moment it's a word.doc, but I'm considering transferring it to .pdf (so it looks better and stops pointing out that "Gibbage" isn't a real word etc).

If I release a .pdf, should I enclose a .txt as well with just the words, in case people can't open it? Is .pdf standard enough yet??

Any thoughts?

d

2. papillon

Indie Author

I like putting instructions in HTML - easy to make, small filesize, links within document - but I've been asked for pdfs instead, so I expect that it's standard enough.

3. Christian

Original Member

Its not only standard enough, but it is the:*** !!!!format of the future!!!! ***.

But have in mind the kind of audience you are aiming too...

4. DanMarshall

Original Member

Exactly. Gibbage is mainly aimed at disenchanted hardcore PC Gamers. I'd imagine 99% of those would have an Adobe reader... or at very least understand how to download one if push came to shove...

5. Artinum

Original Member

My personal preference is for HTML. I have a dislike of PDF files but no rational reason for it.

HTML is delightfully clickable. You can have menus, links to other sections, links to your main website, images, download links... and of course, you can have a copy online to tempt customers. It also has the advantage of being easily assembled by webdesign software while Adobe would have you pay for their PDF-creation software.

But I would definitely ditch Word format.

6. DanMarshall

Original Member

I know what you mean. Me too.

I think I'll look into HTML...

7. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

I think it depends on if the customer wants to print it or not.

Print - .pdf
    Read - .htm

Tom

8. Game Designer

Original Member

Probably because you are used to using them in Windows environments which take a long time to load the files and just seem bulky. I was the same way. Now that I switched to Mac, I love them as they load lightning fast compared to Windows and OS X has native support.
    ________
    Toyota fj cruiser specifications

#8 Game Designer, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  9. soniCron

Indie Author

It's not Windows: It's Adobe. Download Foxit Reader (free) and fall in love... ;)

10. oNyx

Original Member

I prefer html or even chm over pdf. I dislike pdf because they are annoying to navigate, the adobe reader takes ages to startup and it also puts something into autorun (unasked).

11. Fost

Indie Author

If you write the manual in html, then you can compile it all together into a standard windows compiled html help file (.chm).

MS HTML Help Workshop is free

and pretty easy to use, and also includes the sdk for launching it at appropriate times off buttons (not much use in games, but we are using it for the help file for out editor.)

12. mahlzeit

Original Member

And with CSS you can make your HTML printable (page breaks etc) as well, from the same file.