Mac App Store launched - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Roman Budzowski, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Hi
    It launched today. It looks nice on the description sites, but I haven't tried it yet. I won't be on Mac for some time - has anyone tried it? Old links on and to Apple Downloads work still.

Do you think it will change the Mac market for games? Will portals rise royalty rates for Mac games? Will give 30-day exclusives to MAS (or something similar) before launching on portals?

cheers
    Roman

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I don't have any game on it, but I am waiting for the first blog post from a dev making $1M/day with a prank app though :p
    Jokes apart, the only thing that I can bet on is that will cause the mac games prices to fall down by a lot.

3. vbovio

vbovio New Member

looks good to me, it has games with prices ranging from $1 to $25, and there are not many games right now.
    I agree with the tendency that prices may drop soon.. although I believe good games can still be priced high.

4. Musenik

Original Member

In the first section, near the top, a group of apps is listed as 'New and Notable', does that mean some new apps are not being displayed? I suspect they just mean 'new apps'.

5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Not many games yes, but too many for everyone to be front-paged.

But hey, at least I got this link I can hawk at Mac folk.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smiles-hd/id404674513?mt=12

New and Notable (from iOS) isn't exactly a "what's new" list, but what Apple considers Notable that week.

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Hehe:
    Strange, they had to force another update on users! Is the first time they do that, eh!

7. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Is there DRM?

8. kilah

kilah New Member

I don't expect to have such an Apple store effect on prices. Main reason iOS is so interesting to work for is the fixed hardware range. On Mac, you may play flash games, hardware features vary a lot, lots of portals already give Apple games, etc.

The only real downside is Apple itself, promotion and marketing will be so hardcore than I can see other portals having problems to deliver games to Mac computers.

My 2 cents.

9. Red27

Indie Author

Personally, I'm still sickened that the store won't accept Java Games.

10. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

The DRM is optional. I decided to skip it, although I don't know how sensible a move that was.

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

Yes and it got broken (i only have an URL saying what to do, not actual news item). Although the thing is so silly (you just copy some files from a free app's directory to a demo's directory to unlock it) that it'll probably be fixed until tomorrow or something. The method still sounds very weak, but i suspect they're only after casual piracy.

12. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Wow having to upgrade my laptop OS from 10.5 to 10.6 just to access the App Store would be a big turn off if I wasn't a developer who should probably do it just to capitalise on the new sales channel.

13. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

The DRM is more complicated than copying a few files around, but it's understandable that a Dev may not fully implement it due to the annoying US encryption export laws. Any claims of it actually being cracked are grossly exaggerated.

14. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

The DRM isn't broken, it's just apps that doesn't use any DRM that has been cracked by copying those files (link), but I'm sure the DRM will be broken soon though.

15. princec

Indie Author

I think they're kinda missing out there....
    <edit>Good thing Steam will though eh?

Cas :)

16. barrygamer

Original Member

Got the 10.6.6 update to take a look.

First thing, its very accessible, its first item in the Dock and 3rd item on the Apple menu. I think they want this to be the only/main way to get mac apps, but I guess it will take a while to establish itself.

It basically works/looks like iTunes, though its quite a bit faster, and the interface less cluttered (at the moment!). I wonder why this isnt in iTunes, or iTunes in this?

I spotted some quite high prices of ported iphone games, we'll see how long that lasts. The store already has quite a lot of (dare I say) quick iphone ports.

The app installation process is truly effortless, the app icon just flies down into the dock -- done. It couldnt be simper. Checking for updates is also super-easy.

I'm sure I read that apple didnt want demo/lite versions, but there are plenty on there. Maybe I read it wrong. The store could be used by companies to provide free versions only, and direct customers to their site, thereby giving no money to Apple? Its not like iphone, where theres no other way to buy something. Perhaps they reject apps that do that.

#16 barrygamer, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  17. galent

galent New Member

according to the GamesIndustry.biz the Mac app store DRM was broken/cracked within hours....

Not good!

Galen

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well I cannot believe they'll let people do that. Otherwise WHY someone would sell through them instead of redirecting to their sites and get full money+customer email? :eek:

19. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

I don't see how they can enforce it... if they do then why wouldn't they go so far as to say if you don't distribute your game exclusively on the store they will not distribute it.

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author

So I can just upload free demo to the appstore and put buynow links to my site? great then :)