Love2D for a legit game?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Noah, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Noah

Noah New Member

Okay so I'm very limited in options when it comes to game engines. I have about a week's knowledge of Java programming and that's it. I'm planning on learning to program so I can make a game. My idea is a metroidvania type game but more of a story driven game. I would be doing the art, composing, writing and programming. And for someone who only has experience in composing I think it would be difficult to start in Love2D because everything has to be coded but it's pretty much my only choice at this point. The game would be a 2d pixel game. I don't mind learning the ins and outs of the lua programming language but I just wanna know if it would be worth it in the end. There aren't many great games made on Love2D so I'm kinda scared if it's even possible to do something like Castlevania in Love2D. It would be a huge project to tackle by myself but I have plenty of free time. I'm willing to put in the work if it would pay off.

2. Alan Muldoon

Alan Muldoon New Member

if youre using java i would recommend getting an older version of Unity (2017.2 is the last release to support Java) It has a great selection of 2D tools and im sure it will be an easier workflow for you

Deon likes this.
  3. Deon

Deon New Member

From a perspective of a "developer" who was in a similar position like yours: I also prefer the old Unity for Java/C# coders. The engine is very flexible and there are plenty of tutorials out there.

Could you maybe specify why you initially focused on Love2d at all? Was it just something you stumbled upon randomly, or was it a meaningful decision?

Alan Muldoon likes this.