Looking for Feedback on a Game Concept

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by commonbacon, Oct 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. commonbacon

commonbacon New Member

Let me present to you my idea:

Home.

The Backstory:
    Terrinia, a fantasy world, has just reached the climax of a devastating war. Thousands were lost, on both sides, and the land is in a state that may take years to recover. Villages our ruined. Towns are destroyed. Families are broken. You are a veteran of this war. Upon returning to your small farm, you found the worst had happened: Your farm had been burnt to the ground, and your family was missing. With nowhere to call home, you simply headed east, hoping to find a new place to call home.

The Game:
    The game itself would begin with you on the road. Little exposition would be given. Instead, you learn about your character as you learn about your world. What side did you fight on? Were you a kind man? Did you commit atrocities in the war that should never be mentioned? The story of the past will unfold as the player crafts the present. Past and present are closely interwoven, and play as important a role as the relationships you form.

Here's the catch: The game wouldn't feature a combat system. Though the player might face dangers, the point of this game is to explore a person, and a world, after a war. It's a time of tense peace, but peace nonetheless. The focus is, thus, on the story and exploration, not on fighting and killing.

Does this concept seem intriguing? Would it be something you guys would be willing to play?

2. itsJey

itsJey New Member

The concept is intriguing but you should keep in mind that mechanics help in telling the story.
    You mentioned there was no combat which is pretty amazing but you have to compensate for that with another gameplay mechanic.
    I really look forward to your concept~:)

3. Withvees

Withvees New Member

Very, very intriguing. Although, you did just basically explained the plot, I would like to hear more about gameplay. What kind of exploring? Are there collectables? Is it like Journey where you just explore to the end destination?
    I really like the idea of telling the past through the present. The concept has gotten my attention.

Idk, this idea just popped into my head (I like the concept so much that even I started to dwell on it). Maybe your character runs into a destroyed city/village and everyone flees from you because your character is the reason why the place is destroyed. It's one way to show what kind of person your character is/was.

4. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

The characters background...the unfolding part usually kills me in any story. I mean, in some games I can stand it because there is a reason why they forgot there past (shining force did this by making the character frozen in time for 1000 years, making him only remember certain bits of his past.) There isn't a lot about the character that gets me invested into him aside from his farm. Seriously, what kind of farm was it? If there is a value of life here then there could be a devastating message about the devastation of crops as a subtle symbolism for the devastation of lives.

The no combat? So will it be a QTE like Shenmue or heavy rain? It'd be complicated nonetheless. The story is pretty fine to be perfectly frank, there isn't quite a lot to discuss when it comes down to it really. It's up front and we know the ins and outs of the game which makes it pretty fine but there is an issue...The issue is a lack of more information on gameplay.

5. Withvees

Withvees New Member

So what do you think should be established about the character before the game even starts?

Also about the family missing is part, I'm assuming their not dead, so would you plan on the character somehow finding them?

6. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

lol, I didn't make this project though he, the character could have an obsession with the cycle of life. I.E being a farmer witnessing things being born and things dying, depressing but gives weight on the burning of the farm scene.

uhhh, plot points?

7. Withvees

Withvees New Member

The family part was directed to the OP haha I should've mentioned his name @commonbacon

8. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

9. TamaraRyan

TamaraRyan New Member

I love this idea. I'm actually in the middle of a book right now where the plot is similar to yours. So right away I'm imagining the different encounters and scenarios the character has experienced since his home was burnt to the ground and family murdered. No money to his name, he had to live on the streets for a few years, stealing, begging, dodging guards and avoiding other rougher street kids. So I can see a bunch of different possible game mechanics for this.

Somebody mentioned before the over used Amnesia aspect of a character. Which can be true, however in the book I'm reading, it's less of a "I forgot" and more of a "I'm pushing these memories as far back in my mind as possible." He mainly walks around in a kind of a numb emotionless state, because trying to actually deal with what happened is just too much.

I just want to mention too that my favorite games are usually ones where my actions determine what kind of person I am. It always feels like I have much more of a hand in telling the story, instead of just experiencing it.

In short, please make this game. :)

10. Withvees

Withvees New Member

Idk why, but when I think of this game, I think of the game Outland would go well with this plot, but since there is no combat, it obviously wouldn't fit.

11. commonbacon

commonbacon New Member

I never said the character forgot their past, and that wasn't what I meant to imply. Rather, we must learn about the character as much as we learn about the world, a lot like how many books don't just go outright and say what happened to a character, but choose to reveal bits and pieces as time goes on.

12. commonbacon

commonbacon New Member

I'll admit that this is in the very early stages, and the storyline was the primary thing I'd thought out.

I've written out/planned a lot of small encounters very similar to what you suggested, and I love the idea/basis of that.

As far as gameplay goes, I'm still thinking about it, but what I am certain of is that I'd like to avoid making combat a focal point of the game. Any suggestions on that regard I'll happily take.

13. commonbacon

commonbacon New Member

I was planning on certain outcomes being possible based upon what the player does within the game, and even if they find them, it's possible they don't live "happily ever after."

14. Withvees

Withvees New Member

I know and I never said the reason behind that plot idea was because he forgot his past.

15. commonbacon

commonbacon New Member

My bad, I'd meant to reply to Metateen.

16. Withvees

Withvees New Member

Ahh haha okay

17. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

This confusion hit me like a nuclear bomb~

So we get to choose how the players past was and how the came to be in the state they're in right? Wait, so it's slowly but surely revealed? ah, okay I got it now...

18. ChunniePark

ChunniePark New Member

keep thinking about it, you have gifted to do that