Leaving your data out in the open

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by radishan, Dec 22, 2004.

1. radishan

Original Member

Hi there, I've noticed some games have their graphics and sound files packaged up and some games leave the data easily accessible to anyone.

Gish, for example, has all of its files available for me to edit. I could potentially put in all of my own graphics and sounds and have an almost new game (visually) to toy around with.

Have you experienced any problems by leaving your files in a raw form like this? Is it recommended to package/encrypt the files?

On the other hand someone might find it really fun trying to change the graphics for a game, this could be looked at as a feature. Thoughts?

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I've not had anyone replace my graphics (despite me encouraging it), but I have had people "borrow" my graphics before. I'm tempted to do something next time, mainly because I want a simpler looking distribution (executable and couple archive files).

3. EpicBoy

Original Member

PopCap doesn't worry about it and they seem to do alright.

4. mahlzeit

Original Member

If you purchase a license for your sound effects (instead of making your own), you may be required to "package" them so others can't easily redistribute them.

5. BedroomCoder

Original Member

I suppose it depends on how high you prize the sound effect/graphic/music track. If it was a tune you'd payed 40 quid for you'd want to pack it up, obviously... :rolleyes:

Personally I don't feel I need to pack anything in Clones because

a) The games not going to have any more than about 10 sales :)P)

b) The sound effects are made out of commercial sound effects from other games, modified and spliced together (using Goldwave).

c) Graphics are not that good and therefore not likely to get nicked.

6. Jak

Jak
    Original Member

Better watch out with that one, especially if you're making money from your game.

7. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Jesus Mike, you turned my little criticism into your signature?

8. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

My game images are bitmaps, the sounds and music are wavs and the levels and config data are all plain text files... I think this is all fine, until I implement an online high score system... then I'll have to encrypt the levels at least and put some checksums in there.

9. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I left mine open for years but recently I started to pack them all into one big file. In all the time that the files were easily grabbed and edited I've only run into a few problems (like people using my art in other games to compete with me). However it's pretty unclear that packing the graphics would have made much of a difference in those cases anyway.

10. Hamumu

Indie Author

I have online high scores and there's no need to encrypt the levels at all (for that matter, in my game you can actually EDIT the levels using the game itself!) - you just send a checksum of the level they played along with their score. On the server you compare it to a list, and it verifies that what they played is the original layout, and as an added bonus, tells you which level it was. If their checksum doesn't match any known level, ignore the score.

11. svero

But isn't that kind of reckless behaviour not really about your game business but rather a clever ploy to keep up your bad boy rebel without a cause image?

12. Abscissa

Original Member

He seems to have one heck of a community built up around it. I'm sure it's gone a long way towards builing up word of mouth, more sales, and keeping up the game's lifespan. Keep in mind, there's mainstream titles that have had great success from the same thing (Doom 1 and 2, Half-Life 1).

13. svero

Maybe it's true... Maybe my sense of humour is too subtle... maybe... just maybe...

14. Abscissa

Original Member

lol. Or maybe 1:00am is too late for me to notice subtleties ;)

15. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yeah, I never get enough negative feedback on the stuff I do. Everyone's too nice, or too afraid to risk a flame war. That's my "scattery" way of saying thanks.

16. BedroomCoder

Original Member

Well, I doubt many people will be able to tell. All sounds have been changed in at least one way or are royalty free sounds...

I doubt anybody will spot it, especially as I won't be making many sales anyway.

btw, I noticed in ALIEN SHOOTER they nicked the shotgun sound from Quake 1! :eek:

17. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Hey, you're welcome.

18. Ricardo C

Original Member

You still shouldn't be doing it. Or at the very least, not announcing it :rolleyes:

19. BedroomCoder

Original Member

Hehehehehe *slaps wrist*

Well I have no PC mic to make stuff meself... :-/