Kongregate announces Unity support

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by andrew, Dec 21, 2010.

1. andrew

andrew New Member

http://www.kongregate.com/

It was only a matter of time before a high-traffic Flash portal supported Unity... if more follow, this might be the big install-base jump that Unity needs.

Will this now create a much higher barrier of entry for "small web game" developers?

- andrew

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well, this changes completely the rules :) before there was only flash... soon there will be flash and html5 for 2d and unity is very likely to become the main 3d web plugin!
    About the barrier of entry, not sure. Making a 3d game isn't trivial at all and much more expensive (assets) than a 2d game, so I don't think we'll see many FREE quality 3d games.

3. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Lest not forget HTML5 webGL - it won't be long before all browsers support it as standard.

4. Dri

Dri New Member

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

yes but with unity you have a full engine(physics, scripting, etc)+editor, while webGL....?

6. filharvey

Original Member

Don't forget Molehill with flash will be out next year. So flash will support full 3d.

7. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Hmm... I can't see in those contest terms if you lose your IP for the game or not.

Does anyone know?

Iain

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

...provides freedom! :-O

:p

Well, its not like most people doing 3D with Flash are writing the code from scratch, so i'm sure that once WebGL is more widespread, there will be lots of engines out there :)

9. Dri

Dri New Member

10. meds

meds New Member

You mean a massively fractured standard with wildly varying implementations requiring hours if not days of fixing bugs for every platform out there.

HTML5 WebGL combines two platforms both of which have a history of dodgy implementation on different systems.

11. indy

indy New Member

Microsoft are unlikely to ever support WebGL in IE, why would they want to kill there DirectX platform?

12. GDI

GDI New Member

The contest seems to target self-taught coders using the free Unity and off-the-shelf free, open-source or cheap art.

Any Unity experts here? Provided I already have the 3D assets, if I commission someone just so I can enter this contest, will the 10,000 dollar prize money be already consumed paying a programmer for 1 1/2 months (6 weeks) until Feb 15? That kinda renders it pointless, then.

I think there is a market for free ad-supported 3D games. Think of 'tech-demo' size projects made by students... a single level with a boss fight at the end. They're usually given for free at the end of the semester, but with ad revenue it gets better.

It will take some time to get a 3D game long enough that requires Save/Load to be made though.