Kickstarter.com Game Post Mortems

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Leon, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Leon

Leon
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Kickstarter.com has opened up a potential pathway for Independent Developers to not only find funding for their projects, but to also use it to market and get their game out into the gaming community. But it's not as easy as some may think. There is a lot - a lot - more involved than simply slapping a few screenshots and a description onto the site and watching the money roll in. Most developers remark about being exhausted by the (normally) 30 day process of running a campaign.

You can view some statics about Kickstarter here.
    Key stats as of 3/18/2014:
    • Games have a 35.20% success rate(Kickstarter overall has a 43% success rate).
    • 5,556 Games have Failed to be funded. 4,313 were funded between 1-20% of their total before the campaign ended.
    • Over the first two years of Kickstarter, shorter compaigns(30 days) were more successful than longer ones 44% vs 24%.
    • Games are by far the most pledged campaigns with $193 million successfully pledged.
    • Projects with videos succeed at a much higher rate than those without (50% vs. 30%)

Kickstarter.com Tips
    Think Before You Stretch
    Project Tools
    The Power of $1
    How To Make An Awesome Video
    The Beauty of Updates
    The Kickstarter Effect

Amazon Book List:
    Using Crowd Funding for your projects

The following are a list of post mortems about developers experiences running Kickstarter compaigns:

Through The Breach - a card game
    Info: Compares a successful campaign to other table top campaigns to determine what worked, what didn't work, and what should have been done to achieve greater success.
    Goal/Raised: 30k/243k

Legends of Eisenwald - an RPG turn based strategy
    Info: A 2012 post mortem that discusses the lack of information on how to run a campaign back then, and focuses on what they wish they knew, and how they'd do things differently once they were done.
    Goal/Raised: 50k/83k

Scraps - A combat vehicle construction game
    Info: Discusses pre-launch work, the exhaustion during the campaign(how running one cuts into dev time) and the benefits to pairing your KS with your Steam Greenlight campaign.
    Goal/Raised: 23k/29k(New Zealand Dollars)

You Are Not The Hero - RPG
    Info: Pre-launch work on the game, KS preparation, during campaign, discusses dealing with negativity based on engine(RPGMaker), the value of PayPal and final wrap up.
    Goal/Raised: 12k/90k

République - Stealth Survival hybrid
    Info: "I was driving across Seattle's 520 bridge on a beautiful, sunny afternoon on the third day of our Kickstarter campaign, dazed and confused, and momentarily considered hitting the red "abort mission" button on our whole Kickstarter." Five pages of how they went from considering aborting to a funded game.
    Goal/Raised: 500k/555k

Stasis - Sci Fi horror adventure game
    Info: Detailed information on when launch; holidays coming up? What's your schedule like for the length of the campaign? Have a demo?
    Where are you hosting it?
    Goal/Raised: 100k/132k

DwarfCorp -3D simulation/strategy game
    Info: Extremely detailed rundown of the process of starting a business to the end of the campaign, and everything in-between.
    Goal/Raised: 20k/45k

Tetrapulse - Platformer
    Info: The in's and out's of preparing for a campaign, and running it.
    Goal/Raised: 15k/$15,753

Telepath Tatics - strategy RPG
    Info: Was 275% funded - on the second attempt(73% funded). 12 steps learned from the experience of failure to success on the same project.
    Goal/Raised: 15k/41k

I hope folks find these useful, and I'll continue to add to the list as more are written.

#1 Leon, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Karl Fredriksson likes this.
  2. bantamcitygames

bantamcitygames
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Leon, this is a great list. I love reading these types of things... especially since I want to go the Kickstarter route myself.

3. Leon

Leon
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Thanks, Bruno. I intend to use Kickstarter as well, not just as a means to provide funds for my game, but also as a way of marketing and getting my game known and hyped in the community. It's a valuable tool - if done correctly. If anyone knows of any Kickstarter post mortems, please post and I'll add them to the list.

4. bantamcitygames

bantamcitygames
    Expand Collapse

5. Leon

Leon
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Good finds, and added. :)

6. FascinatingCaptain

FascinatingCaptain
    Expand Collapse

Very interesting read. I intend to have a crowdfunding platform launched by the end of this year if my pitch to investors goes to plan next month. The platform is directed towards independent game design for backers who are solely interested in indie games. There's a survey that I have been putting out to gauge exactly what indie developers are looking for and what they think is missing from the most popular crowdfunding sites. If you have a minute, I would appreciate anyone filling this out. I know these can be boring but I've tried to make it as brief as possible!

Here's the link:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sZbVetzFdLWx9a0MHMaHdJMqJw4NI_eaox2GNP6lxsk/viewform

Also, if you would like some further information about this, please do leave your email address at the end of the survey.

Thanks for any support.

7. SoupMaster

SoupMaster
    Expand Collapse

Extremely helpful! Thanks a ton!

8. Leon

Leon
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Thanks. I updated the post with more information, and gave a description/goal/rasied amount to Through The Breach. Would folks like me to add such things to all the post mortems? Let me know what you think.

9. bantamcitygames

bantamcitygames
    Expand Collapse

I like the extra info... adds some perspective without having to click through to all of the links

10. YesIndieDee

YesIndieDee
    Expand Collapse

It is interesting to see so many one after the other, gives a better sense for what was done right/wrong and which bits were likely to be luck.

11. Leon

Leon
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Alright folks! I added one new post mortem, added goals/raised and info to all projects. I also added a link to a search on Amazon that has books on crowd funding. Hope it's helpful! (Oh, could I by chance get a sticky for this thread? Thanks!)

12. bantamcitygames

bantamcitygames
    Expand Collapse

Sticky'ed for now... maybe we can even make something more permanent out of it once I figure out the best way to integrate static/blog-like content with this site.

13. audiogeek1

audiogeek1
    Expand Collapse

Great info. New to this board. Thanks for being so thorough.

Mike

14. XiaoStella

XiaoStella
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for the insight! Perhaps a bit too late for me since I have launched my own campaign some time ago (it's still running, though). Gonna improve it by these awesome tips!

Cheers :)

15. Leon

Leon
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

You're welcome! Congratulations on not only having a successful Kickstarter, but also getting on Steam. Awesome work. :)

16. DanHayesGamer

DanHayesGamer
    Expand Collapse

This is possibly the best collection of kickstarter info I've found on the net. This is AWESOME!

17. nomansohail

nomansohail
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for posting this information I am also thinking of taking the kickstarter route with my first (proper) game.

18. Leon

Leon
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Glad this is a useful resource for everyone. :) If you come across any good ones, please do send them to me!

19. bdusseau1988

bdusseau1988
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for this post. I will use this site to make a professional press kit for my video game composer career start.

20. GICorp

GICorp
    Expand Collapse

VERY Good Post. I am doing Research on some of the links you posted as Im getting ready to launch a KickStarter Campaign next Month!! Thanks for the Information.