Jpeg2000

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by oNyx, Nov 13, 2004.

1. oNyx

Original Member

Yesterday I took a first look at jp2. It's truely awesome. It's smaller than jpeg and it also looks much better (I mean the lossy mode). For example hard contrast edges don't end up in a mess of jpeg artefacts. 80% jp2s look pretty much perfect and it's about 20-25% of the size of a png.

However, the patent stuff seems to be still pretty much unclear. I guess it's not used much for that reason.

2. princec

Indie Author

Is there any OGG stuff in progress for image compression?

Cas :)

3. Karukef

Original Member

While many are under the belief that JPEG2000 is under strict licenses and such, that is not actually the case. The group and major comapnies behind JPEG2000 have all granted use of the relevant patents without restrictions, so it IS a free format and you can even find a free encoder\decoder for it called Jasper. The only reservation is that there MAY be hidden patents that some obscure company has taken long ago just to fling it in people's faces at a later time. Worrying about this however is probably being a bit paranoid.

Try JPEG2000 out. My experience with works wonders for textures and other "solid" images. Sprites - that is images that have large transparent parts and precise pixellated graphics - are much more suited to be losslessly compressed by LZMA (7-zip).

Original License information, taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG2000

4. Alex Saveliev

Original Member

J2K-Codec

You can also try our decoding component - J2K-Codec at
    http://j2k-codec.com

It is very easy to use :)

5. soniCron

Indie Author

Or, we could use the open sourced Jasper for free, and easy to use. ;)

6. Martoon

Original Member

In one of their dev diaries (I'm too lazy to dig up the link), Moonpod talked about converting Starscape to use JP2000. They were very impressed by the quality to filesize ratio (it really is leaps beyond jpeg), but found that it decompressed too slowly for loading images in-game. So they have the decompression (to some other format) all done at install time.

7. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Can you get Jpeg 2000 plugins for Photoshop? How 'bout for ImageMagick? Without support in one (preferably both) of those two, it would be rather hard for me to work with JPeg 2000.

8. soniCron

Indie Author

ImageMagick supports read/write of JPEG-2000 natively, and there are several Photoshop plugins for JP2K as well.

9. Spaceman Spiff

Original Member

One thing to rember when adding a new format to the mix - if you go to a lossy format, do it only once. So your toolchain / build process really needs to be able to support the end format. (i.e. don't save to JPEG then convert to JPEG 2000).

10. soniCron

Indie Author

And don't forget to check your code for typos! :p

11. Alex Saveliev

Original Member

Or you could figure out that J2K-Codec is up to 20 times faster, takes less memory and still more easy-to-use ;)

Jasper sucks. Believe me, I wouldn't write this codec if JasPer were any good...

12. princec

Indie Author

<surfaces from hibernation>...is there a pure Java implementation of your decoder anywhere?

13. Alex Saveliev

Original Member

I've created my codec especially for games and I'm actually using it; and the speed is fine...

P.S. The platform is PC.

14. Alex Saveliev

Original Member

For Java you can try JJ2000 (http://jj2000.epfl.ch)
    But JPEG2000 on Java will be veeeery slooooow :)

15. princec

Indie Author

Why's that then?

16. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Is there an easy way to use Jpeg 2000 with SDL?

Will JPeg 2000 cause noticeably slower load/decompress times than regular old Jpeg?

17. Alex Saveliev

Original Member

First of all - because it's JAVA :)

18. princec

Indie Author

:S Won't get baited... tell that to my Java code.

19. Alex Saveliev

Original Member

I didn't used SDL, but I'll try to help you to adapt our codec for it, if you are interested...

JPEG2000 is slower than old JPEG - it is a fact. Though the difference for a player may be neglible, depending on your situation. You can simply download and try J2K-Codec - just to estimate the decoding slowdown. I am using it and perfectly happy with the speed :)

20. Alex Saveliev

Original Member

There is code and there is Code :)

Moving packman around and performing full-scale wavelet and codeblock decoding is a bit different calculation tasks :)