It is uncommon to give out free demo game for feedback as market scheme

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by elvis89, Jun 17, 2019.

1. elvis89

elvis89 New Member

I have an important question concerning about marketing your game. I wanted to know if it uncommon for small indie team to release a demo game for free for feedback or suggestion to help improve the game?

alexphell likes this.
  2. JessieZhou

JessieZhou New Member

Not uncommon at all. You should get some feedback from others when you want to know the result. But why not show it first in some forums by a video or a lite version? It will be much safer if the game hasn't been completed yet.

3. Scoper

Indie Author

Very common. It is often called an alpha test. When the game is nearly complete and you release the whole game (not just a demo) for testing and feedback it is called a beta test. Usually you send your alpha to only a few select people, while beta is commonly open to anyone.

#3 Scoper, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  4. CptFancyPants

CptFancyPants New Member

Yeah, agreed it's not uncommon at all. Either as a demo that's a small portion of the game or as an unfinished alpha version. And, depending on your goals with it, it could be a private, covered by NDA sort of deal or a little more public where you can provide it to some indie game news sites and content creators.

5. EberKain

EberKain New Member

Getting anyone to look at your game, even with a free version and no restrictions is hard enough. There are 150ish games a week coming out on steam. Its like a flood. Post about your project early and often, as much as you can in as many places as you can. I would say you need a demo that people can check out, enough to get them hooked and want to buy it now instead of waiting for it to be on sale.

CptFancyPants likes this.