Is there place for me in game development?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Rareboy, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Rareboy

Rareboy New Member

Hello guys, completely newbie in here I was just curious ... I love games with strong mythology and with large worlds to explore (World of Warcraft, Witcher etc.) and I LOVE fantasy games. I am already into filmmaking but after the last project I realized maybe that games offer another dimension to the story that I would really like to create, and that is interactive dimension.
    I know in game development a huge role goes to technical side, like programming and coding (I dont know if thats the same thing) but I am not really into that. I would like to create a great team of people and develop games just like movies. I just dont know if there is place for me in game development if I dont like coding and if it would make me a weaker company leader ...Thank you for answers :)

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You don't need to know coding. But you need to understand the processes of game making and for that you're going to need to understand how an entire team works together and what each of them does, from design, programming, artwork, sound, music, right down to QA. As I said, you don't *need* to know how to do it all or even be "into it", but you do need to have an understanding of what's involved.

On the QA point - it's a common starting place for many people in the games industry, myself included. Done a ton of programming on 8-bit computers from 1986, Amigas in the 1990s, and PC/Mac from around 1999. But I got a job in quality assurance with Gremlin Interactive in 1998, then shifted over to motion capture for three years, until Infogrames *spit* took over and shut the entire thing down. But I digress... I and many others got into the industry through the basement. Other people went on to be designers, producers, artists and so on but they all started at the bottom.

Probably isn't what you want to hear but walking straight into a managerial role with no proven track record is pretty much unheard of.

Isaac Parks and metateen like this.
  3. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

From experience, I've been with teams who could code, and do all sorts of gaming like capabilities...They all shared the same weakness, never getting direct with their teams.

Keeping your team alive is the key element in ANY SUCCESSFUL market, the more you don't talk to your teams and the more you refuse to be an acting assist. They'll fall apart, they seek leadership and a strong one at that. There is room for you in the indie community, if there is room for "air control" then their is room for newbies completely.

Just don't be pushed back at all, it maybe intimidating but it's just a temporary illusion. You ca pierce it and move on to the next step with little assistance if it's granted.

4. Rekusi

Indie Author

Coding is definitely not a prerequisite. With any large project rarely will people from one dept seep to another. You wont see artists programming, or audio people working on the engine, etc. With a small project, it will most certainly help to be a jack of all trades.

I use Unity so I like to reference it. A few months ago I attended a unity roads show, and they showed us how to create a small map you can walk through. It was very crude, but we covered item placements, simple weapon animations and lighting. It actually extremely easy to setup a small forest with a character to walk around with in Unity, and there are tons of tutorials around out there. To really get a feel on if you would like to make the switch to game development, you could always try making a very small map in Unity, find some easy scripts (and the Unity community is ALWAYS willing to assist), finish the small alpha of a game, and see what you think in the end. And if you have a sense of wanting and completing more, then perhaps game development could be for you. :)

5. CaiGengYang

CaiGengYang New Member

I guess it would always be better if you could code as well. Most of the most successful tech startups are created by programmers themselves ... Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple (ok so Steve Jobs was not a coder i read, but Steve Wozniak was a programmer), Oracle , Baidu.

I once worked for a startup as an intern, started by a single founder who couldn't code. It was quite a disaster. Having a programmer as a founder would help alot because then he/she would understand the technology better

6. anthgraham

anthgraham New Member

Hello I would love to have you join my dev team for a new scifi game alla wow style. please email me at anthgraham@gmail.com